Couple questions regarding temp gauge sensor and mysterious wire

CNSRanch

Picked up a '98 TJ 4.0 a few months ago and have been messing around with things that need to be taken care of. Temperature gauge is running about 110° and then will drop to zero. I did some searching and found out it could probably be the temperature gauge sensor. Went to look for it this morning and I can't find the darn thing. I have a couple of pictures of the engine compartment for your reference. Supposed to be driver's side on the rear, right?
I also found this mysterious wire wrapped up at the firewall. Can you tell me what it is?
1000004410.jpg
1000004409.jpg
1000004413.jpg

1000004410.jpg

What year did they change the gauge sensor from the back of the motor to the thermostat housing? Also, is there a way for me to test that to know whether it's the sensor or the thermostat?

What year did they change the gauge sensor from the back of the motor to the thermostat housing? Also, is there a way for me to test that to know whether it's the sensor or the thermostat?

I'm thinking it's the sensor because even though my gauge reads just a hair above 100 and then drops below, I still have heat coming from the dash

AFAIK it was never in the back of the bock, every TJ I've ever seen has the temp sensor in the t-stat housing. This includes some early 97's.