DJ's TJ: Low and Slow

I had a discussion with @sab a few weeks back about aluminum alloys. IIRC he suggested 5356 because 4043 is prone to cracking from vibration. Might be worth it to verify this though.

Reactions: Dev
I had a discussion with @sab a few weeks back about aluminum alloys. IIRC he suggested 5356 because 4043 is prone to cracking from vibration. Might be worth it to verify this though.

If that's the case I'll definitely get some. Years ago when I took my tig class we only welded 6062 T6 and we could only use 4043 filler so I still have a ton left over so it's what I've been using. I'll have to look into that because this tray will see some flex

Reactions: AirborneTexasRanger

It depends on the aluminum alloy you are welding. In your case, AirborneTexasRanger, you were welding 5052 alloy, which isn't heat-treatable. Using 4043 rod isn't the best choice for that alloy because the 5% silicon in the 4043 rod mixes with the magnesium in the 5052, and in that mixed zone, it becomes heat-treatable, so it's susceptible to cracking more easily. The 5356 rod has far less silicone, so it's a better choice for the 5052 alloy.