Thanks. Did you modify your shock mounts up front?

The measurements on skyjackers sight compared with the rancho 55255 are very close. The black maxx seems to have slightly more travel with a slightly shorter compressed length and ranchos have slightly more droop. A lot of folks running the Ranchos on stock length arms just radius the lower shock mount a bit. I won't know with a 100% certainty until I get this jeep on the ground, set ride height and go from there. Given a lot of people run the ranchos without major issues and decent travel bias, I am hopeful it will work out. My concern is not compromising too much up travel.

I have the 4" recommended black maxx shocks en route b8525 in case this doesn't work without major modifications.

https://www.gorancho.com/products/rancho-rs5000x-rs55255-suspension-shock-absorber

https://skyjacker.com/shop/shocks/b...-shock-absorber/#kor_gamma_woocommerce_tabs|2

No modifications to the upper or lower shock mounts for those black maxx jk shocks. Just a 2” bumpstop extension added

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Just happen to have my front coils out.
Measured full droop with those jk black max shocks being the downward limit of travel.
The coil height is 21.75” from the axle to the bottom of the stock rubber isolator. So your 22.6” free length TJ Currie 4” coils would stay seated.
Next ran the axle up until the shocks limited the up travel. Looks more like a 2.25” to 2.5” minimum bumpstop extensions is needed to keep the shocks from bottoming out hard.
I wish they had marketed these jk shocks as a 4” lift TJ shock. Hope this helps you

IMG_7188.jpeg

IMG_7190.jpeg

Just happen to have my front coils out.
Measured full droop with those jk black max shocks being the downward limit of travel.
The coil height is 21.75” from the axle to the bottom of the stock rubber isolator. So your 22.6” free length TJ Currie 4” coils would stay seated.
Next ran the axle up until the shocks limited the up travel. Looks more like a 2.25” to 2.5” minimum bumpstop extensions is needed to keep the shocks from bottoming out hard.
I wish they had marketed these jk shocks as a 4” lift TJ shock. Hope this helps you

View attachment 524366

View attachment 524367

Thanks for the measurements! Good starting point for me. My rough measurements were about the same as yours on the bump stops requirements

1000003321.jpg

Been busy with work and trip to the beach for a car show.

Did manage to get the front together during lunches this week. Black magic tie rod is waiting for paint to dry. Painted and cleaned up the frame, behind the springs mainly, before they go on.

I'll clearance the wheel hub and mount some calipers and throw the springs on to sit the front down.

Last edited:
16" big brake kit fits stock ravines!

Luckily I didn't have any wheel weights on the outer edge.

@mrblaine said they "should" fit so I'm just here to confirm they do in fact fit if there are no wheel weights near the inside edge of the rim. I have 2 inch spacers for a 3.5" total backspacing. I may switch to 1.5" and they look like they will still clear. It's definitely all the brake you're going to fit in a 15inch wheel.

Dorman H622066 and H622065 brake lines used.

sway loc linkage installed as well. I extended the linkage a bit to hopefully clear at full lock. I may need to shorten once I get my ride height set. They do not hit the grill at the current bumpstop setting which is just the currie setup with all spacers for now.

Hopefully my spicer slinger and baffle show up Monday so can put the rear axle together.

1000003332.jpg
1000003328.jpg

1000003333.jpg

1000003329.jpg

Locker switches mounted and summit seat cushion with the dorman heated seat kit 628-040 done on the drivers side. Low heat setting is not noticeable so I'll just wire the high only using the switches below for a factory look.

1000003334.jpg

1000003326.jpg

1000003335.jpg

16" big brake kit fits stock ravines!

Luckily I didn't have any wheel weights on the outer edge.

@mrblaine said they "should" fit so I'm just here to confirm they do in fact fit if there are no wheel weights near the inside edge of the rim. I have 2 inch spacers for a 3.5" total backspacing. I may switch to 1.5" and they look like they will still clear. It's definitely all the brake you're going to fit in a 15inch wheel.

Dorman H622066 and H622065 brake lines used.

sway loc linkage installed as well. I extended the linkage a bit to hopefully clear at full lock. I may need to shorten once I get my ride height set. They do not hit the grill at the current bumpstop setting which is just the currie setup with all spacers for now.

Hopefully my spicer slinger and baffle show up Monday so can put the rear axle together.

View attachment 526160View attachment 526162

View attachment 526163

View attachment 526161

Locker switches mounted and seat cushion with the dorman heated seat kit 628-040 done on the drivers side. Low heat setting is not noticeable so I'll just wire the high only using the switches below for a factory look.

View attachment 526165
View attachment 526167

View attachment 526168

View attachment 526166

I just ordered similar seat heater switches. I figured the same thing - you'll run high or none... And those switches look great. Can't wait to install mine.

I just ordered similar seat heater switches. I figured the same thing - you'll run high or none... And those switches look great. Can't wait to install mine.

Awesome!

I couldn't hardly feel the low setting. I figured once I get the trek armor covers back on it would be worse. High wasn't too hot anyway. I do wish the dorman pads were maybe a little bigger but they work and got the wife's approval.

Reactions: FarFire70
First run on Dana 44 using factory specs looks promising. .005 backlash. Maybe could go a touch deeper but I'm tempted to just call this good.

Pinion depth: .057"

1000003378.jpg
1000003377.jpg
1000003376.jpg

Last edited:
Pinion depth:.063"
Backlash: .006

A little deeper but looks good. Going to take another jump and see what it does but I like this one.

1000003383.jpg
1000003384.jpg
1000003381.jpg

Last edited: