More questions about Jeep: looking for opinions

I know I’m asking a lot of questions but I have a Jeep that I bought without really knowing anything about Jeeps. I should have done a lot more research on the front end but here I am now.

I’ve had the Jeep for 5-6 years and only used it around the house for hunting…so it’s been ok for that.

But I’d like to be able to take it around town more and I’ve started to work on things.

The Jeep came with a RC 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires, and 3.07 gears. I’ve read enough now to know that’s a bad deal.

What I’m looking for is what to do about it.

I had some intermittent DW and I’ve replaced the steering linkage, track bar, and dropped pitman arm.

The DW hasn’t returned yet so we’ll see.

I also replaced the shocks.

If it was your Jeep what’s the first things you would take care of.

Or would you just sell it and start over 🤪

What is the mileage and what kind of condition is it in-

What I would do would depend on what it needs, and what I want and need-

I’m not trying to be a knucklehead but first make sure it’s safe and dependable, and well serviced , then go from there, based on your budget and goals.

Realistically how much someone is willing to do work themselves can be a big factor in what they can afford to do sometimes.

I noticed you are a pastor.....You might end up sounding like Jimmy Swaggart at the very end if you go to deep into this thing....

“ ya’ll forgive me ...........😩😩

• Haha
Reactions: jmharris23
If you've driven/lived with it for 5-6 years with 3.07 gears and 35s, leave it alone. You have a higher tolerance for pain than most. :unsure:

His tolerance for that kind of pain does seem pretty high but I wonder what the engine's tolerance for pain is. Working harder intead of smarter kinda applies to gearing too.

Dammit! Now I'm wondering if the number of miles and where they were driven may be more important than the 5-6 years.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Just my personal experience, I have 33” and 4.10 and it doesn’t bother me. I have the 6sp manual so that might be why. I have no idea what it feels like In automatic.

Downsizing to 31” tires will make it much more drivable. Regearing would also accomplish this but it’s more expensive and it doesn’t sound like you have a use case to justify it.

Ditto here! When I bought my ‘06 TJ it already had a 3” lift & 33” tires. I decided to keep it like that, but those 3.07 gears had to go so I had them changed to 4.56 & added chromoly axle shafts & True Track limited slips while the work was being done.
I imagine his 3.07 gears are really terrible with your 35” tires. If he keeps that size tire he should drive very carefully because those things can cause the axle shafts to snap on a stock Dana 35 rear axle.
I agree that 31” tires are the best solution.

There used to be a thread here somewhere about what all is needed to run 35's safely. Can't find it.

If you've driven/lived with it for 5-6 years with 3.07 gears and 35s, leave it alone. You have a higher tolerance for pain than most. :unsure:

Ha ha…well I haven’t driven it that much. I bought it as mostly a hunting rig and I used it that way for a couple of years. I live in a rural area so I’m hunting mostly within 30 mins of my home.

Then it started getting death wobble and I had to park it until I had time to work on it. I have 4 kids and the life that comes with that, so it wound up getting pushed to the side for a long time.

Now that I’ve finally gotten around to trying to do something with it, I’m learning there’s way more involved than I knew 😊

Last edited:
What is the mileage and what kind of condition is it in-

What I would do would depend on what it needs, and what I want and need-

I’m not trying to be a knucklehead but first make sure it’s safe and dependable, and well serviced , then go from there, based on your budget and goals.

Realistically how much someone is willing to do work themselves can be a big factor in what they can afford to do sometimes.

I noticed you are a pastor.....You might end up sounding like Jimmy Swaggart at the very end if you go to deep into this thing....

“ ya’ll forgive me ...........😩😩

Ha ha! I just might.

It’s in good mechanical condition as far as I can tell. It’s been maintained by me as far as oil changes, fluid changes, etc.

I haven’t put hardly any miles on it in the time that I’ve had it, but it runs very smoothly, and the transmission seems solid.

Reactions: AndyG
His tolerance for that kind of pain does seem pretty high but I wonder what the engine's tolerance for pain is. Working harder intead of smarter kinda applies to gearing too.

Dammit! Now I'm wondering if the number of miles and where they were driven may be more important than the 5-6 years.

I haven’t driven it enough to matter. I bought to hunt out of and that’s all. I’m usually only driving it a couple of miles from my home, around my hunting land, and back home. I haven’t put 2,000 miles on in 5-6 years.

So no pain here…until now when I’m starting to figure out what I have.

I had some desire to fix it up, and be able to drive it a little more. But I’m finding out there’s way more to it than I realized.

It’s my fault, I bought without a full understanding of Jeep’s. But I got it now and I’d like to do something with it.

I haven’t driven it enough to matter. I bought to hunt out of and that’s all. I’m usually only driving it a couple of miles from my home, around my hunting land, and back home. I haven’t put 2,000 miles on in 5-6 years.

So no pain here…until now when I’m starting to figure out what I have.

I had some desire to fix it up, and be able to drive it a little more. But I’m finding out there’s way more to it than I realized.

It’s my fault, I bought without a full understanding of Jeep’s. But I got it now and I’d like to do something with it.

You don’t know what you don’t know. But now you’ve taken the steps to read and realized it’s just not right, and you have a couple of pathways to go down to fix. If I knew all I know now, I would have gotten the 05 TJ rubicon with 50k in the same lot that my TJ sport with 117k was in 9 years ago.
You definitely made the right choice in going with TJ over the others.

Ha ha! I just might.

It’s in good mechanical condition as far as I can tell. It’s been maintained by me as far as oil changes, fluid changes, etc.

I haven’t put hardly any miles on it in the time that I’ve had it, but it runs very smoothly, and the transmission seems solid.

Don't forget these for your 35s.
BMB decal (2).jpg

Reactions: Ron505