NV3550 transmission from 2003 Liberty

Gfacer

Hi Guys,

I did see one old thread but here to ask again. There is a nv3550 and an nv231 (I assume) transfer case from a 2003 liberty for sale near me for a very low price of $100cad for the pair.

Thinking of picking the up for 'what ifs' as I can store them. I think the transfer case is fully swappable from what I saw online and that the transmission maybe should be with the existing bellhousing from the AX-15 I have.

I'd only be swapping if I had a major failure in the AX 15 (and even then I'd decide at the time based on finances etc.) Also could be type 2 fun to try and rebuild one.

Basically any thoughts on if that swap is as easy as it sounds?

Off the top of my head, here are the things that could cause you issues.

* trans mount/skid
* exhaust hanger
* clutch slave cylinder
* front/rear yoke differences on the transfer case. I would just use the t-case mated to the new trans though, just in case there are input/output shaft variations.
* bellhousing bolt pattern could be different? IDK what motor they put in those, but I would bet you're ok here.

No way I wouldn't pick them up for that price though, the transfer case (if it's a 231) are getting > $250 USD in DFW. And 3550's seem to never come up for sale. I know the other transmissions are more popular, but I really like the 3550 in my 02.