Radiator overflow coolant bottle losing inches per day

AUSSIE

Supporting Member
I love my 2006 Oz Golden Eagle. My 3rd TJ.

It maybe has a head issue?

This past month I have research this forum and read with interest a variety of feedback on my coolant level dropping. Also been over Youtube. I'm none the wiser.

My TJ has just 130,000km (71,000 miles). A month or so back I noticed a guggling sound after running around town. Checked the radiator. Water very low. Topped up radiator and overflow. Added coolant.

My oil is clear. No cloudy white exhaust smoke or exhaust water. TJ is actually running fine. Temp gauge in centre. Checked overflow bottle. No leak. Check oil cap and it looked all good. Installed new 18psi radiator cap. A/C compressor is clicking every 6-7 seconds.

Did another check. In two days with very modest running around town my over the overflow has dropped several inches (3-4). Radiator level is fine.

Thoughts please.

IMG_0181 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Faulty radiator cap or thermostat.
p.s. My 00' did that when the head cracked, but it was a problem with 00-01' Jeeps only.

Good points. Forgot to mention I did add a new 18psi cap.

I'll look into the thermostat. Than ks

Last edited:
Also A/C compressor clicking every 6-7 seconds. Related issue?

Last edited:
If the level in the overflow bottle is dropping 3-4 inches a day I would think there would be evidence on the ground under the vehicle in the form of drops or even small puddles…?

Not so…?

Have you recently changed the antifreeze. Maybe you didn’t get all the air out and it is gradually filling the system?

Thank you to all. I have been keeping an eye out for moisture under the Jeep. Only clear A/C water.

BUT just yesterday on getting home I happened to look down at the passenger floor and noticed moisture on the mud mat. I hadn't had any wet booted passengers. Went around had a closer inspection. The moisture appeared clear but I noticed higher up on the mat a definite green drip. I had just purchased a new thermostat as a possible fix.

I believe this is problem identified? New heater core required?

K-seal seems to get a good rap as a fix for the short term?

If the level in the overflow bottle is dropping 3-4 inches a day I would think there would be evidence on the ground under the vehicle in the form of drops or even small puddles…?

Not so…?

Good question. See my response above.

Right so update. I went to the local radiator gurus and had the system flushed. Great. Topped up with rain water.

When home and let TJ cool down. Poured K-SEAL into radiator. Idled TJ for a while. Took for a short cruise.

Pulled out passenger side carpet. Soaked with green coolant tinged water. Floor was soaked. Dryed up floor. Squirted down carpet and drying over night.

BIG NEWS IS THAT K-SEAL HAS APPEARED TO WORK. ZERO PASSENGER FLOOR WATER.

Looked under the bonnet. Good little trickle of water from A/C tube. See pic of water after leaving A/C on and TJ sitting for about an hour.

I did note a very small drip up under the edge of radiator/thermostat. I'm still to investigate this. It's the pic with the sun light on it.

K-SEAL seems to have done the main business.

ps. Sorry but I missed getting a floor green shot as I was in shock.

IMG_0234 (1).jpeg

IMG_0235 (1).jpeg

IMG_0236 (1).jpeg

IMG_0237 (1).jpeg

Last edited: