Road trip when and why

mxz800

Instigator
Supporting Member
My son just went on a road trip with some of his work friends to Tennessee from Maine. They rented a van, and headed to buc-ees, and a few distilleries.

That reminded me of the last minute road trip I took with a couple of friends back in the early 80's. We decided on third shift on a Friday after work we would grab some clothes and drive to Virginia.

What a trip, we had a lot of fun. We took my 78 Camaro, the three of us all over 6ft crammed into that car.

I wish I understood why people are so infatuated with bucees. I know people that plan their vacation routes to visit them?? It’s an oversized convenience store, with the same stuff for sale in multiple places. To each his own but, I just don’t get it.

I will give them that getting gas is easy and traffic flows nicely.

I wish I understood why people are so infatuated with bucees. I know people that plan their vacation routes to visit them?? It’s an oversized convenience store, with the same stuff for sale in multiple places. To each his own but, I just don’t get it.

I will give them that getting gas is easy and traffic flows nicely.

I agree. Lived in the area in the 90s when they had a bait shop / convenience store / gas station on the way to the jetties, then later an ice house that was the happenin place. Didn’t know they had expanded so massively until I saw online posts about it And thought WTH?

There's something special about hitting the road with friends and seeing where it takes you. Your 78 Camaro must've been the perfect ride for those late-night drives through Virginia! Speaking of travels, I once found myself planning a trip from Tampa, Florida, checking out all the cruise timetables. It was like stepping into a world of endless possibilities, imagining the adventures awaiting at each port.

In about 2007 my brother and some friends flew out to southern California, did some skate boarding for a couple days and then drove home in an 85ish Ford Bronco that he bought on Craigslist for something like $1500.

They did a lot of this.
1000000860.jpg

1000000861.jpg

1000000862.jpg

1000000863.jpg

And then topped it off with a 2 hour search by the highway patrol on the side of I-40 at 3am in western Oklahoma.

My most random road trip was when Oklahoma went to play in the football national championship in Miami while I was in college. I had to fly out there due to timing but I didn't have enough money for a round trip, or to drive back myself. So I hitched a ride with a couple girls I'd gone to high school with and one of their sorority sisters. 24 hours in a S10 Blazer and a night in one hotel room; it didn't go as these things usually do in the movies. I blame it on the fact that we were all depressed from the 55-19 loss to USC.