Went with a turbocharger

Kevlarr

TJ Enthusiast
So I’ve been posting on here trying to gather info from members on experiences with a turbo or supercharger because I need more power and didn’t want to do the whole engine swap thing. So this is what I ordered

it was all about price. It’s only $1400 plus tuner add $575. Plus larger fuel pump $? And fuel injectors $?
Should be fun!

D88CA077-FED8-482E-9181-BAEB53184FDD.png

Nice! Be sure to keep us updated as you install it. A number of people on here have turbos on their TJs as well.

Reactions: Kevlarr
Will be following closely. Very interested in what power you get. And changes in driveability and mileage. Best of luck. Hopefully all goes smoothly!

Looks interesting. How does the intercooler cool? Do you need a hood scoop for it at speed and/or a fan for when you're crawling.

Last edited:
I had a buddy that got a cheap turbo for his focus and it worked quite well until his car was stolen. At one time I had followed that stuff and knew some of the pitfalls you might find with some of the components, but I've since forgotten.

The turbo kits I look at now are general stuff for diesel and everything is massive and seemingly unrealistic IMO. And diesel sucks at a certain point because to get power you also get ~2x torque which means you get to break everything if you don't beef up everything else. I still seem to see guys with higher HP win races, but guys with high torque seem to be able to do a lot of work and maintain speed easily and that's what I'm after anymore.

Alex thank you for that list exactly what I was looking for. I couldn’t seem to find a pSI number on any of the fuel pumps I looked at. I think I’m going to get a louvred hood insert and the Split Second tuner. I have not received it yet but I expect it to be here next week. We’ll be on Vacation for TG but soon after I’ll pick up the other things I need. I think the one on Amazon didn’t come with a stainless exhaust manifold so this seemed to be the best bang for the buck... Also the dude said this could be dialed up to 25psi which if true is way more than I’m looking for but nice to know it’s there. We’ll see. I’m willing to take a chance because if I blow my motor then I’ll get a stroker

KR

Looks interesting. How does the intercooler cool? Do you need a hood scoop for it at speed and/or a fan for when you're crawling.
No, an IC is between the turbo and the intake manifold. It cools the heated compressed air coming out of the turbo before it enters the engine. Using a scoop may cool the ambient down a bit, but the the air is heated up again by the turbo. Many will argue that a cold air intake on a turbo is not really effective, as long as airflow is not limited by the stock intake piping, because the turbo will just heat the air back up considerably more than ambient when it compresses it. The IC acts as a radiator and nicely conditions the compressed air before it hits the intake manifold.

That is an "air to air" type intercooler which utilizes ambient air and air flow to cool the hot compressed air from the turbo before it goes into the intake, so yes a scoop or fan would help flow more air across the cooling fins. Where it's located it's probably not going to get much cool air flowing across it without a hood modification of some sort.

Banks went with a air to water intercooler for their Wrangler turbo kit for better cooling.

Last edited:
Reactions: InOmaha