97-06 4.0 automatic wiring harness differences?

IDK if you can find that or not. I would probably just look at the wiring diagrams and see if I could figure out how to make it work.

I still think that you're worrying about problem #73 while problems 1-10 are being ignored.

I hate to do this but i guess I'll shine the bat signal. @mrblaine Didn't you mention a pigtail between the harness and the 32rh that splits to the two connectors?

@starkey480 do you remember from your swap?
https://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1373723&parttype=2602
IMG_2913.png

IMG_2914.jpeg

The upper connector was from the link I sent. Lower is a Delphi/aptiv male apex 2.8 4 way connector

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: JMT and Rickyd
Looks like you are right! So I should be able to find a adaptor connector to connect the single 4 wire harness plug to the transmissions 2 plugs?

It is part of the engine harness! I'll check the harness numbers shortly and get back to you!

It’s all good as long as you have what you need.

IDK if you can find that or not. I would probably just look at the wiring diagrams and see if I could figure out how to make it work.

I still think that you're worrying about problem #73 while problems 1-10 are being ignored.

I want to fix all the problems back to factory, I'm just trying to fix one thing at a time, lol, I'm lost with wiring! Right now I'm just trying to connect the harness to the transmission! (I might have to make up the jumperwire connector,idk yet) That should make it start, run, and drive! Then when that is fixed I'll work on the other 2 problems witch is the gauges don't work and the transmission is not shifting out of first gear! I'm pretty sure neither of those 2 problems has to do with the transmission wiring, I could be wrong though, lol, this jeep sure is teaching me about the tjs! I grew up working on cars but never have liked wiring problems! Thank you all very much for helping me, yall sure know yalls jeeps

Reactions: macleanflood
https://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1373723&parttype=2602
View attachment 526648
View attachment 526649
The upper connector was from the link I sent. Lower is a Delphi/aptiv male apex 2.8 4 way connector

make a wire to connect C154 pin 3 to the NSS connector pin 2, and connect C154 pins 4 and 2 to the NSS connector pins 1 and 3. After that wiring is done, ensure you leave a fuse installed in slot 20 of the fuse block. See the attachments below for the starter circuit diagram, C154 location, and NSS pinout. Is this how it should go? I copied it from somewhere but lol idk where

Ok I have almost figured it out! The po installed the wrong harness, I replaced it with numbers matching 2002 harness for a auto trans! Everything plugged up except the wire plug fo the transmission and I did see another plug on the harness! After help here and other places, and the fsm, I figure out that I'm missing a pigtail to connect the 4wire (vt/wt, vt/bk, br/lb, and bk) plug on the harness to the three pin nss connector on the trans! The pigtail is discontinued and no after markets are available! Ill have to either find a used pigtail from a 98-02 32rh transmission or make my own pigtail! The pigtail only goes to the nss!

The tcc solenoid wiring should be in the harness(i still have to find it) but it has or/LG and rd/LG wires! I located both the wires at the firewall under the hood going towards the transmission so the plug must be there I just need to find it!

Hope this helps someone, I'll post my results on finding the tcc plug after I get time to crawl under the jeep and search the harness for it!

Do you mean the TCC plug at the corner of the transmission? (I don’t think there is an intermediate plug there).

I had to buy the TCC solenoid and cut off the plug and spliced it into my harness. The plug inside the transmission case is the same as it is outside the case.

Do you mean the TCC plug at the corner of the transmission? (I don’t think there is an intermediate plug there).

I had to buy the TCC solenoid and cut off the plug and spliced it into my harness. The plug inside the transmission case is the same as it is outside the case.

Yes that is what I've figured out! At least I know the wires are thare, i havent got under it to see wharè they go yet! I've read a few people that swear the plug is there! But at least I know now what needs to be done even if I have to replace the plug like you did! I've read a few people saying the same thing you are saying! In the fsm it shows the wires in the diagrams and it also shows the tcc plug and pin out! The wires are orange/ light green and red/light green! The or/LG comes from the pcm connector 2, and goes straight to the tcc(it don't go through no connector at all), the rd/LG comes from the fuse box, it goes through connector 106 and 103 then to the tcc!

The other 4 wire plug connector 103 with the vt/wt, vt/bk, br/lb, and black wires goes to the neutral safety switch! jeep made a connector pigtail to connect it but it is discontinue, so you either have to locate a used one(hard to find) or make your own!

I explained it in detail best I can, hopefully it'll help someone else,

I appreciate yalls help, thank you

Yeah when I needed to replace that solenoid I had to re-buy the whole dang thing because i had already cut the connector off the first one to repair the outside. I considered splicing the connector that was already on the inside of the trans into the cut solenoid wiring, but I wasn't sure just how the heat shrink etc would hold up to ATF @ 200F so I just bit the bullet and bought the whole thing again.

I would have sworn the NSS is only 3 wires though. Yep, just went to the garage to verify against a pigtail I had bought but ended up not using. 3 wires.

Reactions: lee bland
Yeah when I needed to replace that solenoid I had to re-buy the whole dang thing because i had already cut the connector off the first one to repair the outside. I considered splicing the connector that was already on the inside of the trans into the cut solenoid wiring, but I wasn't sure just how the heat shrink etc would hold up to ATF @ 200F so I just bit the bullet and bought the whole thing again.

I would have sworn the NSS is only 3 wires though. Yep, just went to the garage to verify against a pigtail I had bought but ended up not using. 3 wires.

My nss plug on my harness is the 4 wire plug with the obove mentioned colors! The nss on the transmission does only have 3 wires! That is whare I'll have to make the adapter pigtail to connect the harness to the nss on the trañs! I have found that jeep made quite a few different harnesses! I think it goes like this! 98-2000 are the same, 2001-2002 are the same, 2003 different from all. And 2004-2007 are the same! But each year also had manual harness and the auto harness exept 2001-2002 used the same harness for manual/and automatic, only difference in them is the pigtail that connects the harness to the transmission! Jeep made the pigtails for auto and manual but they are discontinued

Reactions: JMT
If the one from 2007 is the same, that would be noteworthy. ;). Sometimes you can find the pigtails on rock auto, but finding them can be a trick.

My nss plug on my harness is the 4 wire plug with the obove mentioned colors! The nss on the transmission does only have 3 wires! That is whare I'll have to make the adapter pigtail to connect the harness to the nss on the trañs! I have found that jeep made quite a few different harnesses! I think it goes like this! 98-2000 are the same, 2001-2002 are the same, 2003 different from all. And 2004-2007 are the same! But each year also had manual harness and the auto harness exept 2001-2002 used the same harness for manual/and automatic, only difference in them is the pigtail that connects the harness to the transmission! Jeep made the pigtails for auto and manual but they are discontinued

IDK about all that, but I do know 2005-2006 auto harness is different from 2003-2004, and the manual 2005-2006 is different from previous years.

I hope you find your pigtail.