Arizona Rock Crawler

Same fall different view. No cable hooked up here yet. I’ll be curious if I can start making this stuff with an 8” stretch
IMG_2642.jpeg

I’m at 115”, and I run into stuff for which I’m not long enough all the time. I also run into stuff for which I’m to long. It’s all relative. Bigger rigs just come up short on bigger obstacles - there are cool challenges at every rig level.

That said - So when are you going to make your rig as big as your balls?

😉

Always impressed with how you wheel, Stark.

In chasing down a few problems right now…

The first is pretty clear, I’m hearing my tcase bump into my tub sometimes when the Jeep is flexed out or going fast over choppy stuff. Frint driveshaft is also hitting one of the bolts that holds the savvy shift plate to the tub. Those noises are new… My skid is pretty dented so it’s probably just pushing shit higher than it used to be. The other thing is the tcase feels a little floppy just grabbing ahold of it so when I drop the skid to flatten it I’ll check the trans mount.
IMG_2456.jpeg

IMG_2454.jpeg

IMG_2453.jpeg

My 2nd problem is that when I’m at a dead stop and hit the gas hard, I get a big old stutter. Like the feeling of driving over really rough washboard road. Only from a dead stop in first. If I already have some momentum going I can hit gas hard and no worries. I pulled the driveshaft last night and inspected it and it seems fine. Probably not pinion angle because it’s fine at fast speeds although I’m sure the angle isn’t perfect right now with the bent skid. Maybe transmission mount is smoked? Maybe same issues that are causing tcase to hit the tub? I’ll report back when I drop the skid.

I’m at 115”, and I run into stuff for which I’m not long enough all the time. I also run into stuff for which I’m to long. It’s all relative. Bigger rigs just come up short on bigger obstacles - there are cool challenges at every rig level.
I've tried to explain for years how the trails in JV are about the same level of difficulty for the rig on 40's as it is for the rig on 35's. The smaller tires tend to be narrower width so they sneak right through places where the 40" tire rig has to put one tire on top of a 4 foot tall boulder and go over the top of it and try to get past without it putting you on your lid. Like you said, it is all relative and if there was a perfect wheelbase and tire size that worked everywhere, we'd all do it. Wheelbase and lots of it is fun until it isn't.

In chasing down a few problems right now…

The first is pretty clear, I’m hearing my tcase bump into my tub sometimes when the Jeep is flexed out or going fast over choppy stuff. Frint driveshaft is also hitting one of the bolts that holds the savvy shift plate to the tub. Those noises are new… My skid is pretty dented so it’s probably just pushing shit higher than it used to be. The other thing is the tcase feels a little floppy just grabbing ahold of it so when I drop the skid to flatten it I’ll check the trans mount.
View attachment 524865
View attachment 524866
View attachment 524867

My 2nd problem is that when I’m at a dead stop and hit the gas hard, I get a big old stutter. Like the feeling of driving over really rough washboard road. Only from a dead stop in first. If I already have some momentum going I can hit gas hard and no worries. I pulled the driveshaft last night and inspected it and it seems fine. Probably not pinion angle because it’s fine at fast speeds although I’m sure the angle isn’t perfect right now with the bent skid. Maybe transmission mount is smoked? Maybe same issues that are causing tcase to hit the tub? I’ll report back when I drop the skid.

Same feeling happened with me on my CJ7, turned out to be the forward mounting bolts had backed out and was causing the transmission to move around...

I've tried to explain for years how the trails in JV are about the same level of difficulty for the rig on 40's as it is for the rig on 35's. The smaller tires tend to be narrower width so they sneak right through places where the 40" tire rig has to put one tire on top of a 4 foot tall boulder and go over the top of it and try to get past without it putting you on your lid. Like you said, it is all relative and if there was a perfect wheelbase and tire size that worked everywhere, we'd all do it. Wheelbase and lots of it is fun until it isn't.

I learned that when I had my Gladiator on 37's that I would drag its ass all over the place, constantly hitting the rear skids, bumper and hitch on everything... but, it could climb like crazy... often the front wheels would have already have crested the obstacle before the rears had even started climbing. It was great. and terrible. There is probably a wheelbase sweet spot for Johnson valley. and other for the Rubicon, and another for ocotillo wells. There is probably even a double secret wheelbase for a rig that can do everything. So, I'm agreeing with you. Its all relative to what you do.