Basket's Build

Yeah, the safety of flipping a drop is really what is in question... I know the towbar needs to be flat but is it safe to raise it that far off the truck to make it happen?

Am I going to be forced to mount them under the bumper for it to be safe?

I attached mine right on the bumper, but I did build a 3/16” bumper with reinforcement at the attachment points. I do flip a 2” drop/rise hitch for towing behind my motorhome. Do you have a camper, is that the reason for the extension?

Last edited:
If only there was a way to change that. If only.....

Honestly this might be my best option for June. I want a solution that doesn't involve unbolting shit at the trailhead but for Moab when I'm there for a full week it will be fine.

I attached mine right on the bumper, but I did build a 3/16” bumper with reinforcement at the attachment points. I do flip a 2” drop/rise hitch for towing behind my motorhome. Do you have a camper, is that the reason for the extension?
Yeah, I have a truck bed camper I am trying to make this work with. Although it isn't just an extension (realistically I would need one I think otherwise), it is a ReadyBrake. Basically a surge brake addon that pulls the Jeeps brake pedal.

Reactions: reddvltj
Sorry, I meant the difference between these two options of "where" the height differential is.
View attachment 524794

But I think the second one is probably ideal better cos I still need a different piece with a ball if I go with the first one

none of this is ideal

1715099462103.png

You'll want to use a riser before the ready brake. Check the installation manual.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...00_Installation_Instructions.pdf?v=1666326071

That changes things.. @lBasket , you wont be able to use a drop/rise ball mount based off that information.

IMO I think you're better off to get a bumper that has tow points in the middle or lower area of the bumper. I know you like your stock modified bumper but I think you're going to have to pony up and get a different one.
Then that would be safe and you'd be able to safely flat tow it.

IMO I think you're better off to get a bumper that has tow points in the middle or lower area of the bumper. I know you like your stock modified bumper but I think you're going to have to pony up and get a different one.
Then that would be safe and you'd be able to safely flat tow it.

Any suggestions? Savvy bumper doesn't appear to exist anymore that I can see, motobilt stubby front has the dring mounts just as high, UCF one doesnt have dring mounts, and the genright one gives me maybe another inch lower.

Honestly at this point I think I'll just mount the dring mounts I got from metalcloak under the bumper, drive out to Moab, put them up top, reverse to go home, and then just sell all this flat tow junk when I get back because it's clearly not gonna work for me

RockJock has this kit that bolts to the bottom of the frame.

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9033TJ

Since I already have the D ring adapters, this looks like the same as just bolting on what I already have to the bottom of the frame rails.

I think I'm just gonna suck it up and deal with what I have.

I'd like to say I'd just buy a trailer later, but I'm about to start paying off my student loans.

I got like 81k and the theoretical plan is about 3yrs so I will just need to learn to live with what I got and be patient for a bit.

Ick. Lol
This one from Metal Cloak looks to have some d-ring mounts down lower

https://metalcloak.com/frame-built-bumper-231001-tj.html

View attachment 525079
Hmmmm. This one is okay, especially if I can remove that dumb stinger. Also makes safety chains easier.

Don't you have this bumper @Apparition?

• Haha
It does say
Recovery Points: Shackle mounts are engineered to be used as recovery points only; the shackle mounts are NOT designed for flat-towing.

I don't know if that means it isn't strong enough or it is a liability thing.

It does say
Recovery Points: Shackle mounts are engineered to be used as recovery points only; the shackle mounts are NOT designed for flat-towing.

I don't know if that means it isn't strong enough or it is a liability thing.

Just like the shackle mounts you have now they say the same thing so I'd guess it's a liability thing.