Battery works, engine starts, but no idle. + sound system

Nayabay

Supporting Member
Hoping this hasn’t been posted too many times before.

I just installed some new sound equipment (Sound Ordinance B-8PTD, new JVC KD-x280BT and all new kickers, all reasonable/adequate for amp (I hope?)) and everything had been hooked up. I equalized the sub while the engine was running with the new receiver, all was well. Everything worked, engine starting and all.

I shut it off for the night but had to move it an hour later to make room in the driveway. The engine wouldn’t turn over but the battery was alive. Wondering if I had just connected and disconnected the battery too much over the past couple of days or something?

Battery is new as of this past winter. Engine has jogged here and there over the last couple years, but my mechanic wasn't concerned. Thought the engine was flooded because I smelled fuel, so I started it up after letting it breathe for about 20 minutes, turn it on with my foot on the accelerator. It would run but wouldn’t hold an idle, just dies when I’m not giving it gas. Not sure what to do.

Help so, so appreciated.

I’d put a multimeter on the battery and make sure you’re getting a good 12v. Also if you have a “smart” trickle charger hook that up for a bit. I say “smart” because the new ones will tell you if the battery is not going to hold a charge.
The newish battery should take a good charge and might have just been drained by all the stereo work. Or you might have parasitic drain from the new components. If the newish battery is dead I would look into your alternator as the culprit. If both those are good check spark plugs, fuel pressure, and it’s easy enough to verify your air filter is clean too.

Reactions: Nayabay
I agree with the battery test. I also found the follow tip, not related to jeeps but the Idle Air Control (IAC) relearning from the computer after batter disconnected for some time. Again make sure the battery is at the correct voltage, may need to charge it? This process couldn't hurt to try.

IMG_1482.png

I’d put a multimeter on the battery and make sure you’re getting a good 12v. Also if you have a “smart” trickle charger hook that up for a bit. I say “smart” because the new ones will tell you if the battery is not going to hold a charge.
The newish battery should take a good charge and might have just been drained by all the stereo work. Or you might have parasitic drain from the new components. If the newish battery is dead I would look into your alternator as the culprit. If both those are good check spark plugs, fuel pressure, and it’s easy enough to verify your air filter is clean too.

Thanks so much for the advice. Gonna tinker around, hopefully I can diagnose it this way!

I also concur with the battery. If a battery is bad enough it won’t have enough juice to keep basic things running for long.

I had an old Pontiac that would die after it had warmed up. After spending hours chasing and researching I learned that the electrical system couldn’t keep the injectors going for long if the battery was bad. Swapped a new one in and it was good to go.

Are you also getting any parasitic draw with the new sound equipment?

I also concur with the battery. If a battery is bad enough it won’t have enough juice to keep basic things running for long.

I had an old Pontiac that would die after it had warmed up. After spending hours chasing and researching I learned that the electrical system couldn’t keep the injectors going for long if the battery was bad. Swapped a new one in and it was good to go.

Are you also getting any parasitic draw with the new sound equipment?

going to test a couple of things thanks to you fine gents, will report back

Reactions: cpwolf
I would disconnect the battery and test it, then trickle charge it overnight. Then test again, and hook it up and see how it does.

The instructions on training posted above can’t hurt as well. Then see where it sets.

Before you start chasing a parasitic draw, having it charged offline will show you if it’s good to go, all should work, then if it comes back, you know where to start going down the rabbit hole.

Reactions: Granite
I'm also curious about battery voltage...both at rest and when you throw the ignition switch.

How clean are the terminals? What did you touch/how did you route when/where you landed the large gauge wire for the amp(s).

After that it's probably grounds. The resources section has the factory service manual - the FSM - section 8w is the wiring diagrams. Whole chart in there on grounds.

Also here's how to clean your IAC... won't hurt...but might want to get it running first so as to not confuse troubleshooting.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-clean-your-iac-idle-air-controller-valve.662/

-Mac

Reactions: Rickyd