Best shocks for stock TJ?

2002 Wrangler X

Would like to get some feedback on best shocks for my stock (no lift) 2002 TJ. This Jeep is used for a toad vehicle behind my motor home most of the time. It is a low mileage 84k and just looking for something that would give me a little better ride and also, been told by other Jeep TJ owners to maybe look into changing out the steering damper to tighten up my steering a bit. Just trying to get feedback to help me learn more about my Jeep. I'm new to the site but, looks as though there is a lot of good information to learn from.

4th vote for Rancho 5000x’s. Ranchos and the Currie Currectlync steering system massively improved my driving experience. Hard to beat Ranchos price point, too!

Also, what tire pressures are you running. I tend to up the pressures a bit more than I normally run when its doing toad duty.

What would then be the "next" step up for a stock height TJ after the Ranchos?

I haven't seen another shock described consistently as an upgrade from the RS5000x until jumping all the way to a tuned Fox. Except maybe OME's original Nitrocharger which is no longer in production.

You can spend more money on Bilstein 5100s, OME Nitrocharger Sports, etc but it seems most agree the extra money doesn't buy a better ride, and in fact they're often described as a downgrade.

Reactions: Tray Burge
I am running a 1998 Jeep TJ with a 4 inch skyjacker lift kit. I am needing to replace my shocks and wondering which Rancho rs5000x would be best. the ones for a 4 inch or the ones for a 2.5 inch as I understand the rancho run long. I am running 31x10/50/15 tires

I am running a 1998 Jeep TJ with a 4 inch skyjacker lift kit. I am needing to replace my shocks and wondering which Rancho rs5000x would be best. the ones for a 4 inch or the ones for a 2.5 inch as I understand the rancho run long. I am running 31x10/50/15 tires

the only real way to know is to cycle your suspension with the springs out, taking measurements at full stuff and full droop to see what shock travel you can use, and then select the shock length that best fits. There are a lot of variables (like if you have an SYE/DC rear driveshaft) that make even two Jeeps with the same lift height call for different shock lengths.

if you aren't going to do pull the springs to cycle and measure, the 2.5" will be the safer choice.

the only real way to know is to cycle your suspension with the springs out, taking measurements at full stuff and full droop to see what shock travel you can use, and then select the shock length that best fits. There are a lot of variables (like if you have an SYE/DC rear driveshaft) that make even two Jeeps with the same lift height call for different shock lengths.

if you aren't going to do pull the springs to cycle and measure, the 2.5" will be the safer choice.
Thank You!

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
@Fonz54 and @Casajeep , I wonder if you could say more about the improvements? Is it s softer ride on bumpy roads, or better handling on turns, or everything all around? Just curious.

And to be clear, did you keep your stock coil springs or did you upgrade those from stock at the same time?

@Fonz54 and @Casajeep , I wonder if you could say more about the improvements? Is it s softer ride on bumpy roads, or better handling on turns, or everything all around? Just curious.

And to be clear, did you keep your stock coil springs or did you upgrade those from stock at the same time?
So, I noticed an immediate difference in the performance of my Jeep. the softer ride is relative in a Jeep, LOL... but it was an improvement. Because the owner before me did not maintain the jeep well, he had a mix of different shocks, and two of them were blown, these new ones of course made it a lot better. I am very pleased with my choice of shocks 100%..

I did not replace the coil springs, they are stock. I will say that I do believe my bump stops on the back are going to have to be replaced, as I noticed I hit a couple of times after replacing the shocks... Hope this helps.

Reactions: SSTJ

I kept my stock springs. The shocks I replaced were the factory units that had over100K miles on them. The OEM shocks provided little if any resistance extended or compressed once I had taken them off. The ride went from bone jarring dental filling removal to much more tolerable. I mean she ain't a Cadillac or any other land yatch. I can ride down a washboard road (both paved and unpaved) and not feel like my spine is being compressed. I never noticed poor turning prior to replacement. I would say that handling remained the same.

Reactions: SSTJ