Camp Chairs and Back Injury

techjeeper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am trying find a camp chair that can work with my back problems. I have a lower disc herniation and good lumbar support is crucial along with not being too acute of an angle while sitting, it causes the disc bulge out more. Small and packable, small enough to pack on a bicycle or throw. In the back of TJ.

The Bike Packing setup I have started putting together.

IMG_1915.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelGH
I have had good luck with this one. It bundles up into a bag a bit larger then a football. If you are patient it can be found on sale.

https://www.rei.com/product/164385/rei-co-op-flexlite-camp-dreamer-chair

I have 2 herniated discs in my lumbar. This one has been one of the more comfortable chairs for me. Though your mileage may vary depending on where your herniation is. What may be awesome for me may be torturous for you.

I have had good luck with this one. It bundles up into a bag a bit larger then a football. If you are patient it can be found on sale.

https://www.rei.com/product/164385/rei-co-op-flexlite-camp-dreamer-chair

I have 2 herniated discs in my lumbar. This one has been one of the more comfortable chairs for me. Though your mileage may vary depending on where your herniation is. What may be awesome for me may be torturous for you.

Mine is the L5/S1.

Any good advice on a sleep setup? Air mattresses don’t work at all so far and most foam are too thin. I was considering one of those self inflating foam mattresses.

I have and use four different camp chairs, none of which I expect to be robust enough for you though are the lightest I have been able to find and deem suitable to carry backpacking.

Alite Monarch and Alite Mayfly.
The Mayfly is essentially a Monarch with the addition of a front leg. I rarely use that leg.
  • It's very comfortable once in,
  • Monarch is a balancing act to sit in but is surprisingly easy to manage. I sleep in it with no issue
  • Low to the ground and a challenge to enter and exit.
  • Not the lightest option but both found their way into my pack on many backpacking trips
I don't believe the Mayfly is available new, but you can find them on Marketplace occasionally.

The Helinox Chair Zero
I switched to the Chair Zero because:
  • It sits higher than the Alite chairs and is far easier to get in and out, especially after a long day of hiking,
  • Much more comfortable
  • It is far lighter than the Alite chairs at just one pound
  • Chair Zero high back is available too
The only negative I found is that the legs on the Chair Zero sink into all but the hardest ground and it fairly easy to tip. Some easy solutions to the sinking legs can be found on the web.

The Nemo Moonlite
I don't consider this a backpacking chair. It's a bit too heavy for my kit. I sat in one at Public Lands and fell in love. I use this when camping out of the Jeep.
  • By far the most comfortable. Like head and shoulders more comfortable than all of the above.
  • Tank-Built
  • Higher than all of the above and easier to get in and out
  • Legs don't sink into the ground.. ever. Seems like black-magic but the design of the rubber feet works on all but the absolute softest of sand
  • Has recline capability which is rare for a chair this small. Seemed hokey at first, but does as advertised and I do use it often
  • Not the lightest or cheapest
I have minor lower back issues.. nothing major, but after miles of hiking having a chair with back support is far better than sitting on the ground. Keeping my body warm is equally important. I have a quilted comforter that fits under all of the above. Weight is negligible but benefits are measurable. I believe it is an REI brand but can't find a link..

Mine is the L5/S1.

Any good advice on a sleep setup? Air mattresses don’t work at all so far and most foam are too thin. I was considering one of those self inflating foam mattresses.

Honestly Hammocks have been my preferred style for a while. Especially with an underquilt. Mine is L4/L5 and L3/L4.

Last edited:
Honestly Hammocks have been my prefer style for a while. Especially with an underquilt. Mine is L4/L5 and L3/L4.
I've been a hammock camper for more than a decade. Started long before it was a thing. By far the best sleep I have ever had. Better than my home mattress that is a few thousand bucks. I have a few hammock chairs too.

Honestly Hammocks have been my preferred style for a while. Especially with an underquilt. Mine is L4/L5 and L3/L4.
I've been a hammock camper for more than a decade. Started long before it was a thing. By far the best sleep I have ever had. Better than my home mattress that is a few thousand bucks. I have a few hammock chairs too.

Do you guys most common sleep on your back when not camping? I’ve been a stomach sleeper for decades now.

Is a sleepy hammock different than hanging out and reading hammock? Is it more like a tent hammock combination?

I have and use four different camp chairs, none of which I expect to be robust enough for you though are the lightest I have been able to find and deem suitable to carry backpacking.

Alite Monarch and Alite Mayfly.
The Mayfly is essentially a Monarch with the addition of a front leg. I rarely use that leg.
  • It's very comfortable once in,
  • Monarch is a balancing act to sit in but is surprisingly easy to manage. I sleep in it with no issue
  • Low to the ground and a challenge to enter and exit.
  • Not the lightest option but both found their way into my pack on many backpacking trips
I don't believe the Mayfly is available new, but you can find them on Marketplace occasionally.

The Helinox Chair Zero
I switched to the Chair Zero because:
  • It sits higher than the Alite chairs and is far easier to get in and out, especially after a long day of hiking,
  • Much more comfortable
  • It is far lighter than the Alite chairs at just one pound
  • Chair Zero high back is available too
The only negative I found is that the legs on the Chair Zero sink into all but the hardest ground and it fairly easy to tip. Some easy solutions to the sinking legs can be found on the web.

The Nemo Moonlite
I don't consider this a backpacking chair. It's a bit too heavy for my kit. I sat in one at Public Lands and fell in love. I use this when camping out of the Jeep.
  • By far the most comfortable. Like head and shoulders more comfortable than all of the above.
  • Tank-Built
  • Higher than all of the above and easier to get in and out
  • Legs don't sink into the ground.. ever. Seems like black-magic but the design of the rubber feet works on all but the absolute softest of sand
  • Has recline capability which is rare for a chair this small. Seemed hokey at first, but does as advertised and I do use it often
  • Not the lightest or cheapest
I have minor lower back issues.. nothing major, but after miles of hiking having a chair with back support is far better than sitting on the ground. Keeping my body warm is equally important. I have a quilted comforter that fits under all of the above. Weight is negligible but benefits are measurable. I believe it is an REI brand but can't find a link..

Robust is a concern, I’m not a little guy.

Do you guys most common sleep on your back when not camping? I’ve been a stomach sleeper for decades now.

Is a sleepy hammock different than hanging out and reading hammock? Is it more like a tent hammock combination?

I am usually a side sleeper.

https://www.grandtrunk.com/collections/hammocks/products/skeeter-beeter-pro?variant=11701781187

This is my go to. Both for sleeping and hanging out. I have a couple more of this style without the built in mosquito netting. Keep one of both my daily driver and the LJ.

In bed I am a side sleeper 100% of the time. In the hammock I am a back sleeper, and as far as I know I wake up in the same position I last remember before falling asleep and don’t move throughout the night. At all.

Best sleep I’ve ever gotten. so much so I sleep out in my backyard very often. My wife and daughter say I’m nuts.

You certainly can lounge in a sleeping hammock, but sleeping in a lounging hammock is not nearly as comfortable. Why would that be you ask? The main difference between the two is a sleeping hammock will almost always have a ridge line that is stretched between the two end gathers and puts a pre-sag in the hammock. This keeps a constant sag without putting any pressure points on your body. In a lounging hammock without a ridgeline, you’re typically bent in half like a banana. This doesn’t happen in a hammock with a ridgeline.

You can very easily retrofit a ridgeline to a hammock that doesn’t have one. A length of cordage (I use ZingIt or Lashit. Both are arborist cordage. Very strong, light and slick). The length of the ridgeline should be about 83% of the overall hammock length. An 11’ hammock (132”) usually uses a fixed ridgeline of 108”. All of my hammocks are 11 feet (yes, longer is typically better) and I make all my ridgelines adjustable in length.

In both lounging and sleeping hammocks its best to lay diagonally across the hammock, rather than straight down its length. That allows you to lay almost 100% flat.

I have four (maybe five?) hammocks that I rotate through based on a few factors. Weather is the most significant factor. All of mine are DIY. One winter hammock has no bug net. Another winter hammock has a top cover. One summer hammock has a half bug net and another has a full bug net that encloses you. All bug nets and top covers are modular and are fully removable. Each hammock is constructed of fabric of different weight and texture (referred to as “hand”.

I’m a true propeller head when it comes to this stuff to questions are welcomed!

Following for a good camp chair with lumbar support. Weight not issue since it'll go in jeep.

I’m headed to the local outdoor store this week after striking out at academy entirely. It’s called mountain hideaway. They definitely have all the backpacking stuff you could want.

Sleep is one part of camping I have zero issues with. Nearly so much else revolves and is planned around the hammock.

Same for me. Hammock with a bug net and a good underquilt makes all the difference. Add a tarp to keep gear and myself dry if it rains or there is going to me fog/dew. Hammock = no back pain

Reactions: MikekiM
Sleep is one part of camping I have zero issues with. Nearly so much else revolves and is planned around the hammock.

Same for me. Hammock with a bug net and a good underquilt makes all the difference. Add a tarp to keep gear and myself dry if it rains or there is going to me fog/dew. Hammock = no back pain

I have been trying to figure out a way to test hammock sleeping without going headlong into buy a bunch of stuff. My kids have some of the basic nylon hammocks. Adult size, with tree straps, etc. When I warms up a bit I was thinking I might set one up out in the shop she see what all I can figure out. Also a lot of places in the desert don’t have trees big enough for hammocks so that might be a limiting factory but I’ll cross that bridge when/if I get there.

I have been trying to figure out a way to test hammock sleeping without going headlong into buy a bunch of stuff. My kids have some of the basic nylon hammocks. Adult size, with tree straps, etc. When I warms up a bit I was thinking I might set one up out in the shop she see what all I can figure out. Also a lot of places in the desert don’t have trees big enough for hammocks so that might be a limiting factory but I’ll cross that bridge when/if I get there.

REI has a decent return policy. Their outlet often has them on discount.