Drivers (left) side outer tie rod end thread direction

DreadPirateRoberts

Hi, I’m new to this forum but have been searching for a couple days and can’t find a solid answer to my issue:

I bought a 2004 Sahara, 4L auto. I’ve spent a few weeks getting it back into shape.

Yesterday I attempted to tackle a new track bar and drivers side outer tie rod end which I ordered from extreme terrain.

Here’s my issue: my replacement tie rod is left hand threaded (turn it counter clock wise and it screws into the tie rod bar) which is correct as far as o can tell from research and trips to 2 different auto parts stores. HOWEVER, the worn tie rod end that is currently on my jeep is 100% right hand threaded (turn it clockwise and it screws into the bar).

Does anyone have any insight here? My only thought is at some point someone flipped the tie rod bar around? I did not check the direction of the other end as I was not sure if that’s even possible.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to dispel any questions.

Could you take a few pictures of the front drag link, tie rod and tie rod ends; post a link to them since I donot believe you can post picture directly until you have >25
Could you take a few pictures of the front drag link, tie rod and tie rod ends; post a link to them since I donot believe you can post picture directly until you have >25 posts...

IMG_7621.jpeg

IMG_7624.jpeg

IMG_7626.jpeg

IMG_7627.jpeg

IMG_7628.jpeg

Does anyone have any insight here? My only thought is at some point someone flipped the tie rod bar around? I did not check the direction of the other end as I was not sure if that’s even possible.

In your pictures, it looks like your right side one is left-hand thread.
Not sure if it matters that they're reversed (other than you bought the wrong one).
It would have been a good time to upgrade to the ZJ bar.

Reactions: Danarch
Not sure if it matters that they're reversed (other than you bought the wrong one).

That’s what it looks like to me too. I went ahead and ordered new Moogs for both sides and will just redo both sides and flip the bar around if that’s the case. Gotta love getting acquainted with a used vehicle.

Thanks for the feedback. That’s what I thought also. I went ahead and ordered both sides and will just flip the bar around to correct orientation.