Fix for exhaust hanger?

Sinespointtoyes

Hello,

Been having some terrible noise coming from my exhaust for the last 2 weeks. Finally took the time to check it our this afternoon and found this. It looks like the exhaust hanger broke off of the exhuast. This is the one before the muffler... other 2 hangars intact, the the exhaust is resting on the big metal piece below and making a terrible racket.

Trying to fix this myself if possible. Looking around, I seem to find some reasonable fixes for the hangers that are closer to the tailpipe, but I haven't found any reasonable solutions for replacing this part. I'm sure there must be a part out there I can use to replace this. Does not have to be perfect.

Thoughts?

hole.jpg

part.jpg

Hello,

Been having some terrible noise coming from my exhaust for the last 2 weeks. Finally took the time to check it our this afternoon and found this. It looks like the exhaust hanger broke off of the exhuast. This is the one before the muffler... other 2 hangars intact, the the exhaust is resting on the big metal piece below and making a terrible racket.

Trying to fix this myself if possible. Looking around, I seem to find some reasonable fixes for the hangers that are closer to the tailpipe, but I haven't found any reasonable solutions for replacing this part. I'm sure there must be a part out there I can use to replace this. Does not have to be perfect.

Thoughts?

View attachment 521535

View attachment 521536

Pay an exhaust shop to weld it back on

Pay an exhaust shop to weld it back on

I think that fixes one part of the equation. This seems to be designed to be welded to the exhaust pipe, but not to the other side. There must be something else I'm missing, because if I were to attach (weld) this to just the exhaust and put it into the hole its supposed to go into, it would still be pretty loose and I don't think it would fix the problem. I suppose it might be possible to weld at both ends, but I don't think that's how this was designed.

I think that fixes one part of the equation. This seems to be designed to be welded to the exhaust pipe, but not to the other side. There must be something else I'm missing, because if I were to attach (weld) this to just the exhaust and put it into the hole its supposed to go into, it would still be pretty loose and I don't think it would fix the problem. I suppose it might be possible to weld at both ends, but I don't think that's how this was designed.

No,you are over thinking it. Stuff the one end back in the bushing,jack up the exhaust and weld the rod back on. The engineers had it right.

No,you are over thinking it.

Maybe not. On my PC monitor it looks like there's maybe an 1/8 inch step right near the bend towards where it gets stuffed back into the bushing. Almost like the bushing itself may have been missing for quite some time. Possibly a previous owner thing, who knows.

If it took you two weeks to even look at what the problem was, then you should pay someone to repair it. 🙄

Hey, we don't really know why it took two weeks to look but at least he wants the noise to stop. I hope he sees your post as a good reason to check things sooner and not a "Give up the tools" moment.

Actually now that I'm looking at it again the step looks like it's on the upper edge of the hanger part like the exhaust had been forced upward, not hanging lower. Whatever caused that step seems unknown.

It's also weird that the "arrow tip" that would keep it in the bushing has mostly rusted off or maybe never existed.

Maybe not. On my PC monitor it looks like there's maybe an 1/8 inch step right near the bend towards where it gets stuffed back into the bushing. Almost like the bushing itself may have been missing for quite some time. Possibly a previous owner thing, who knows.

Hey, we don't really know why it took two weeks to look but at least he wants the noise to stop. I hope he sees your post as a good reason to check things sooner and not a "Give up the tools" moment.

Hey, TWO WEEKS????