Hard top refresh

JeepMama

Has anyone had success using Cerakote on a fiberglass hardtop that is dull and weathered? We used it on the fenders and it made a huge difference. It restored them from scuffed and dull to shiny black. The package says it's for use on unpainted plastic. But I've seen it mentioned online that people have used it on fiberglass. Looking for firsthand experience on whether it works or not. Or other ways to refresh the hardtop.
1000016539.jpg

I would hesitate to use cerakote on anything other than bare plastic. It'll likely leave streaks that may be impossible to get out once applied to your hardtop.

Looks shot to me, no point in trying to fix it.

Oh look at that, we're in the same state, I can help you dispose of it. ;)

Any type of coating product will only temporarily hide things. Paint is the only long term solution.

My aftermarket hard top was hanging outside under a carport for 7 years and I took it from nasty and faded (top was already faded when I bought the Jeep) to looking pretty good doing this:

- Magic eraser and warm water
- Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound with an orbital polisher
- Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish with an orbital polisher
- Meguiar’s Quick Detailer Spray Wax and a couple rags

Surprisingly, it didn’t take too long using an orbital polisher. A couple hours maybe.

I was very pleased with the results. I don’t know how long it will last and doesn’t really matter to me as l’ve taken the hard top back off and stored it. I just like the soft top better.

IMG_8146.jpeg
IMG_8145.jpeg
IMG_8148.jpeg
IMG_8413.jpeg
IMG_8415.jpeg

Last edited:
My top was super faded when I bought my tj. I Used Flood Penetrol, following instructions I found on a YouTube video. 3 years later and the top still looks brand new. These pics are from 3 years ago... I don't have any recent pics where the jeep isn't filthy.

Also, you have to follow the instructions exactly. If not, it can make the job a total pain and results won't be as consistent/desirable.

20240426_120904.jpg
20231227_192614.jpg

My top was super faded when I bought my tj. I Used Flood Penetrol, following instructions I found on a YouTube video. 3 years later and the top still looks brand new. These pics are from 3 years ago... I don't have any recent pics where the jeep isn't filthy.

Also, you have to follow the instructions exactly. If not, it can make the job a total pain and results won't be as consistent/desirable.

View attachment 521975View attachment 521976

Thanks, will def look into it. Your before picture looks a like this one.

Looks shot to me, no point in trying to fix it.

Oh look at that, we're in the same state, I can help you dispose of it. ;)

Any type of coating product will only temporarily hide things. Paint is the only long term solution.

It's my teenage son's Jeep (sort of). He can't just throw away and replace everything . Trying to find lower cost ways to clean it up.

It's my teenage son's Jeep (sort of). He can't just throw away and replace everything . Trying to find lower cost ways to clean it up.

He definitely doesn't want that hard top. He'll be much happier with a soft top. I'll give you my address if you want to drop it off. ;)

He definitely doesn't want that hard top. He'll be much happier with a soft top. I'll give you my address if you want to drop it off. ;)

😂 It came with a soft top and bikini top, too. We'll work on this one when we switch the tops for the summer (assuming we have all the pieces we need).

Reactions: BlueC

View attachment 521975View attachment 521976
Do you have a link to the YouTube video?

Do you have a link to the YouTube video?

Well... While there are still numerous videos on there showing how to do this, the one I liked best has apparently been removed, because it's not even showing up in my watch history with the others. I'll try to summarize the process.

To start, you need to clean your top really well with soap and water. Once its dry, wipe it down with a clean tack cloth or lint free cloth.

Now some people wipe or paint on the Penetrol and just leave it. I'm not sure I can recommend that. I see a couple of people saying wait 25-30min and then wipe it off. I'm pretty sure I only went 10-15min between applying and wiping off.

I applied the Penetrol with a microfiber towel. After 10-15min, I wiped it back off with a lint free rag (I think I used an old t-shirt).

If you let it set for too long, the Penetrol becomes super sticky/tacky and it gets very difficult to wipe it off.

Once I applied and wiped off the Penetrol, I gave the whole jeep a good wash. Three years later, I don't notice any fade. Now that said, my jeep has been dirty for the last 3 months, so if there's any fade now, it's happened during that time. I'll be trying to wash it this week and I'll evaluate it at that time. If it appears to have faded, I'll go ahead and Penetrol it again.

I want to stress that this was on a factory 2002 hardtop. I have no idea how well this method works on aftermarket tops. I've seen several people use it on factory flares as well with great success, but it didn't do anything for mine, although I suspect that has to do with the previous owner trying to restore them with a torch.

When I get a minute, I may organize this post a little better and repost it in the how-to section.

Reactions: SSTJ and mjonesjr84
Might want to clean the top really well first with a Magic Eraser bar to remove oxidation, then soap and water etc etc. I think the secret to a smooth even finish is like WVJeep said, wipe it on let it sit a bit then wipe it off before it gets tacky to blend it all even.

Reactions: mjonesjr84
Might want to clean the top really well first with a Magic Eraser bar to remove oxidation, then soap and water etc etc. I think the secret to a smooth even finish is like WVJeep said, wipe it on let it sit a bit then wipe it off before it gets tacky to blend it all even.

I personally wouldn't use a magic eraser. I know plenty of people have done it on their tops, apparently without issue, but they are quite abrasive and I didn't want to risk damaging my top. Other than color fade, my top was in perfect condition. I didn't want to mess that up.

I have seen a few things screwed up by magic erasers, and have personally damaged drywall with them before realizing how abrasive they are. If there's something on the top that soap and water can't take care of, I'd start with other less abrasive options and work my way up to that if necessary.

Well... While there are still numerous videos on there showing how to do this, the one I liked best has apparently been removed, because it's not even showing up in my watch history with the others. I'll try to summarize the process.

To start, you need to clean your top really well with soap and water. Once its dry, wipe it down with a clean tack cloth or lint free cloth.

Now some people wipe or paint on the Penetrol and just leave it. I'm not sure I can recommend that. I see a couple of people saying wait 25-30min and then wipe it off. I'm pretty sure I only went 10-15min between applying and wiping off.

I applied the Penetrol with a microfiber towel. After 10-15min, I wiped it back off with a lint free rag (I think I used an old t-shirt).

If you let it set for too long, the Penetrol becomes super sticky/tacky and it gets very difficult to wipe it off.

Once I applied and wiped off the Penetrol, I gave the whole jeep a good wash. Three years later, I don't notice any fade. Now that said, my jeep has been dirty for the last 3 months, so if there's any fade now, it's happened during that time. I'll be trying to wash it this week and I'll evaluate it at that time. If it appears to have faded, I'll go ahead and Penetrol it again.

I want to stress that this was on a factory 2002 hardtop. I have no idea how well this method works on aftermarket tops. I've seen several people use it on factory flares as well with great success, but it didn't do anything for mine, although I suspect that has to do with the previous owner trying to restore them with a torch.

When I get a minute, I may organize this post a little better and repost it in the how-to section.

That would be great. Here are the threads I checked out when I found my OEM hardtop.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/restored-my-hardtop.37476/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/penetrol-the-hard-top-and-plastics-or-not.43088/#post-1142323

And if you want to link to a different approach:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/black-hard-top-color-restoration.40354/

Reactions: WVJeep304

Not sure there's much point in putting together a how-to with those threads. Very similar to what I did. I'm just concerned about using the magic eraser if you have to restore your top multiple times through the years. It's probably not an issue if you go easy, but i still prefer to not go any more abrasive on things than absolutely necessary. That said, a top in worse condition than mine may absolutely need that kind of treatment to look new again.

I'm just concerned about using the magic eraser if you have to restore your top multiple times through the years. It's probably not an issue if you go easy, but i still prefer to not go any more abrasive on things than absolutely necessary. That said, a top in worse condition than mine may absolutely need that kind of treatment to look new again.
Yeah I didn't exactly bear down on it like I was trying to sand paint off. Can't see a reason to ever have to use the ME again unless I get stupidly lazy and let the top get chalky again. It probably takes less than 5 minutes to apply another coat of Penetrol and likely will again coming up on 1 year just to keep it looking good. Agree it's easy to mess things up with a Magic Eraser if you just grab one and go at it.

Reactions: WVJeep304