How hard is it to tamper with the odometer?

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
Looking at a very low mileage Jeep. One problem is there are some inconsistencies with state inspections, title, and the odometer. One state inspection a few years ago says there was over 100,000 miles on it then the next year way less. How hard is it to tamper with the odometer in a TJ? The Jeep is several hours away so I cannot inspect easily myself.

On my 05 and 06 TJ’s if you cycle through the instrument cluster self diagnostic test I believe it was the second last display that shows the last 6 digits of the VIN. That will show if it still has the original cluster in the Jeep.
As far as I know the only way to change the odometer reading is to change the cluster.

Edit, I see the Jeep is not accessible bit can you have the seller provide a video of the self diagnostic test?

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
On my 05 and 06 TJ’s if you cycle through the instrument cluster self diagnostic test I believe it was the second last display that shows the last 6 digits of the VIN. That will show if it still has the original cluster in the Jeep.
As far as I know the only way to change the odometer reading is to change the cluster.
Thanks. I'm not even sure how to do that. Google here I come.

Not in all cases. If you want to replace the cluster and have the mileage match the PCM, there is tampering involved.

If you replace the cluster from a TJ with lower mileage, will the cluster show the mileage from the Jeep it was removed from, or will it show the mileage stored in the PCM?

If it shows the mileage from the vehicle it was removed from, are there any sort of indicators on the cluster that show the mileage isn't accurate?

I know on my old BMW from 2001 if you did this, the cluster would show the mileage from the donor vehicle, but there was a amber light that would stay illuminated in the gauge cluster that signified someone had tampered with it.

If you replace the cluster from a TJ with lower mileage, will the cluster show the mileage from the Jeep it was removed from, or will it show the mileage stored in the PCM?

The mileage is stored in the cluster and in the PCM so you can replace either and then correct the mileage.

If it shows the mileage from the vehicle it was removed from, are there any sort of indicators on the cluster that show the mileage isn't accurate?
None whatsoever.

I know on my old BMW from 2001 if you did this, the cluster would show the mileage from the donor vehicle, but there was a amber light that would stay illuminated in the gauge cluster that signified someone had tampered with it.
And you could likely kill that light with the right scan tool.

Reactions: Chris
Looking at a very low mileage Jeep. One problem is there are some inconsistencies with state inspections, title, and the odometer. One state inspection a few years ago says there was over 100,000 miles on it then the next year way less.
Did you ask the owner?
My guess is typo at inspection station, I hear that happens fairly often.

When I bought my BMW, tach and fuel gauge didn't work, the dealer had no clue.
After a little research come to find out it had been replaced w/ the wrong model. Didn't get a tamper light like Chris'.
I replaced w/ the correct one w/ similar miles (not knowing what was really on the car).
But in NC if a vehicle is more than 10 years old they pretty much throw out the odometer statement, it's voluntary.

In NY no mileage info shows on the title after 10 years. If this TJ is being sold at a low mileage price I would keep looking. That mileage inconsistency will follow that TJ for the rest of it's life.

I've often wondered about TJ's that are towed behind RV's.

If you pull the fuse so it does not register while towing, does it still get picked up on the PCM? or anywhere else?

If you pull the fuse so it does not register while towing, does it still get picked up on the PCM? or anywhere else?
interesting thought. I always assumed if the ignition was switched off it wouldn’t register. But now that I think of it I think(?) my mileage displays when I keep my key in the ignition (with ignition off) to unlock the column.

Mileage is not added when it's towed. Not 1 mile. So those who say "most of the miles are from it being towed" are not being truthful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamison C and Daryl
The mileage is stored in the cluster and in the PCM so you can replace either and then correct the mileage.

None whatsoever.

And you could likely kill that light with the right scan tool.
In the event that the mileage is inaccurate because the cluster was replaced, how would you replace it to show the correct mileage?