Kelty Backroads Shelter

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I have been an ultralight backpacker and hammock camper for a few decades, but time and literally thousands of trail miles haven't been kind to my knees so lately I have doing much less trail miles in favor of basecampjng from the Jeep. I'll never switch to a tent and have zero desire to sleep on the ground, but I do think it is a good idea to have some coverage over the Jeep tailgate for weather protection and maybe a bit of privacy (on the trail I was always alone so privacy wasn't important.. there were miles between me and the next human).

Last year I bought a Napier Sportz Dome which conceptually similar to the Kelty tarp but weighs in at nearly 30lbs. I never unboxed it and it is still in the gear closet. It's more tent than tarp and candidly more than what I need. I have it listed for sale on local MP.

Stumbled across the Kelty Backroads Tarp Shelter and thought it a great compromise between nothing, a tarp and a more enclosed tent. Very flexible and well under 10lbs.

First time setup right out of the box took only eleven minutes and thirteen seconds. I did install the center bow incorrectly and the flat spot on the top, seen below, should actually be about a foot more headroom with that bow properly installed. That said, at 5' 11" I can stand under the tarp with plenty of headroom. The weather flap extends over the Jeeps soft top to seal off inclement weather and is secured on either side to the sliders, while the two corners are staked out. There are guy lines at the two outboard corners to aid in a secure pitch if it is windy. There are side pullout points on each of the side curtains that can make an already spacious interior even more open and also reduce flapping when it's windy.

2024-01-21 Kelty Backroads Tarp 02.jpg

2024-01-21 Kelty Backroads Tarp 03.jpg

As pitched above, with the side curtains tied up, you can enter and exit from either side. The footprint is large enough that I am confident there will be plenty of coverage in the event of rain even with the side curtains open. I often hang the hammock anchored to just one tree with the opposite end attached to the Jeeps roll bar. If I pitch this tarp a bit farther back on the soft top and unzip the side curtain exposing the roll bar with the tarp still attached I can pitch the hammock off the side of the Jeep and keep the tailgate area protected.

The side curtains can be deployed and staked out with a wide footprint and side access to enter and exit from under the tarp, or they can be pulled tight to the side of the Jeep as shown below to tighten up the pitch and increase the weather protection and privacy. Again, that center bow should be installed above the longer main bows which would increase the already spacious headroom. The curtains have another two feet at their bottom, that I rolled up and out of the way, but if you stretch them out the interior becomes even more spacious though at the expense of weather protection.
2024-01-21 Kelty Backroads Tarp 11.jpg

There is a large zippered door on the back with a zippered window.
2024-01-21 Kelty Backroads Tarp 05.jpg

2024-01-21 Kelty Backroads Tarp 07.jpg

My hope is that I can pitch with the side curtains down and door open, build a small fire just beyond the tarp and use a campfire heat reflector to direct the heat into and under the tarp. In practice I'll deploy a tyvek footprint under the tarp and make a toasty warm vestibule. I should have measured it but forgot the tape measure, but conservatively I am saying it's 8x10. Enough room for a chair, storage boxes etc.

2024-01-21 Kelty Backroads Tarp 08.jpg

I usually have the Bestop tailgate cargo basket attached along with Rockslide Engineering Spare tire RotoPax mount with water, axe and shovel and a Trasheroo. Not sure how the passenger side curtain will deploy with the cargo basket attached and how I will be able to access the water, trash & tools. Time will tell.
2024-01-21 Kelty Backroads Tarp 04.jpg

Also want to try backing up close to a tree and hanging the hammock under the tarp using the roll bar through the back window and the adjacent tree.

For now I am calling this a win and am looking forward to it's flexibility.

Last edited:
That's nice. I like that it has 3 sides.

I have the Kelty Waypoint. Its big. Game changer for camping with rain and hail. My 2 person tent fits under it with plenty of room to spare. I also love that I can cook not getting rained on :D

20230908_144240.jpg

20230908_144158.jpg

20230908_144635.jpg

That's nice. I like that it has 3 sides.

I have the Kelty Waypoint. Its big. Game changer for camping with rain and hail. My 2 person tent fits under it with plenty of room to spare. I also love that I can cook not getting rained on :D

View attachment 493809

View attachment 493810

View attachment 493812

I considered the Waypoint and now that I see if, I am still considering it!! You can pitch that with two poles as well, right? To create a flat top instead of A-Frame? Can you drop the sides down to the ground? Looks like you have more than enough room to clear where the cargo basket would be.

I'll make a final decision on the Backroads as soon as I can get the basket on. If I can't pitch it so there is reasonable access to the outside of the tailgate, I'll return it and try the Waypoint. I need overhead protections far more than I need side curtains or privacy.

That's a beautiful spot. Where is it?

I think I can pitch the Backroads with a pole at each front ground corner, lift it up and guy it out to create just a canopy.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if a bar that slips in the bumper receiver socket could be fabbed up? Then you could hang the hammock from that and the inside roll bar? Not be dependent on campsite location and needing a tree? Would be more sheltered for sure.

I'm wondering if a bar that slips in the bumper receiver socket could be fabbed up? Then you could hang the hammock from that and the inside roll bar? Not be dependent on campsite location and needing a tree? Would be more sheltered for sure.

Hitch mounted hammock stands have been around for a while.

Not something I have had interest in for a few reasons. Here in the NE trees are plentiful. I use the roll bar only as a matter of convenience and a little cool-factor. It does help with camp logistics.

I use tailgate area throughout every trip and I wouldn’t want to give it up for the hammock.

Tensa makes poles that can be used when trees aren’t convenient. Either singular with a tree or in pairs with no trees at all. Again, not something that has been on my radar. If I were in the desert it might be useful but here I’m the NE I can almost always find trees or at least one.

I have been an ultralight backpacker and hammock camper for a few decades, but time and literally thousands of trail miles haven't been kind to my knees so lately I have doing much less trail miles in favor of basecampjng from the Jeep. I'll never switch to a tent and have zero desire to sleep on the ground, but I do think it is a good idea to have some coverage over the Jeep tailgate for weather protection and maybe a bit of privacy (on the trail I was always alone so privacy wasn't important.. there were miles between me and the next human).

Last year I bought a Napier Sportz Dome which conceptually similar to the Kelty tarp but weighs in at nearly 30lbs. I never unboxed it and it is still in the gear closet. It's more tent than tarp and candidly more than what I need. I have it listed for sale on local MP.

Stumbled across the Kelty Backroads Tarp Shelter and thought it a great compromise between nothing, a tarp and a more enclosed tent. Very flexible and well under 10lbs.

First time setup right out of the box took only eleven minutes and thirteen seconds. I did install the center bow incorrectly and the flat spot on the top, seen below, should actually be about a foot more headroom with that bow properly installed. That said, at 5' 11" I can stand under the tarp with plenty of headroom. The weather flap extends over the Jeeps soft top to seal off inclement weather and is secured on either side to the sliders, while the two corners are staked out. There are guy lines at the two outboard corners to aid in a secure pitch if it is windy. There are side pullout points on each of the side curtains that can make an already spacious interior even more open and also reduce flapping when it's windy.

View attachment 493422

View attachment 493424

As pitched above, with the side curtains tied up, you can enter and exit from either side. The footprint is large enough that I am confident there will be plenty of coverage in the event of rain even with the side curtains open. I often hang the hammock anchored to just one tree with the opposite end attached to the Jeeps roll bar. If I pitch this tarp a bit farther back on the soft top and unzip the side curtain exposing the roll bar with the tarp still attached I can pitch the hammock off the side of the Jeep and keep the tailgate area protected.

The side curtains can be deployed and staked out with a wide footprint and side access to enter and exit from under the tarp, or they can be pulled tight to the side of the Jeep as shown below to tighten up the pitch and increase the weather protection and privacy. Again, that center bow should be installed above the longer main bows which would increase the already spacious headroom. The curtains have another two feet at their bottom, that I rolled up and out of the way, but if you stretch them out the interior becomes even more spacious though at the expense of weather protection.
View attachment 493426

There is a large zippered door on the back with a zippered window.
View attachment 493429

View attachment 493430

My hope is that I can pitch with the side curtains down and door open, build a small fire just beyond the tarp and use a campfire heat reflector to direct the heat into and under the tarp. In practice I'll deploy a tyvek footprint under the tarp and make a toasty warm vestibule. I should have measured it but forgot the tape measure, but conservatively I am saying it's 8x10. Enough room for a chair, storage boxes etc.

View attachment 493433

I usually have the Bestop tailgate cargo basket attached along with Rockslide Engineering Spare tire RotoPax mount with water, axe and shovel and a Trasheroo. Not sure how the passenger side curtain will deploy with the cargo basket attached and how I will be able to access the water, trash & tools. Time will tell.
View attachment 493449

Also want to try backing up close to a tree and hanging the hammock under the tarp using the roll bar through the back window and the adjacent tree.

For now I am calling this a win and am looking forward to it's flexibility.

Are the setup instructions as good as your writeup?

I considered the Waypoint and now that I see if, I am still considering it!! You can pitch that with two poles as well, right? To create a flat top instead of A-Frame? Can you drop the sides down to the ground? Looks like you have more than enough room to clear where the cargo basket would be.

I'll make a final decision on the Backroads as soon as I can get the basket on. If I can't pitch it so there is reasonable access to the outside of the tailgate, I'll return it and try the Waypoint. I need overhead protections far more than I need side curtains or privacy.

That's a beautiful spot. Where is it?

I think I can pitch the Backroads with a pole at each front ground corner, lift it up and guy it out to create just a canopy.

Two poles yes. Not a flat top though. I has a spot for another pole in the middle. And the corners could be lower, but I dont think any of it would reach the ground. Might be able to get it over a rack.

West Lake. Sort of in the Huntington Lake Ca. area 😁

20230908_193617.jpg

20230909_111552R.jpg

20230909_144126R.jpg

Are the setup instructions as good as your writeup?
Sorry I missed this...
No joking.. the first setup took 11 minutes. Now I can get is set up in less time. Super easy. Instructions weren't really needed, but I watched one vid to see the orientation of the short top bar and then had at it.

I like the rims on your rig
Brand / model and size ?

Thx in advance

🚧DETOUR👋🏿
ProComp model 69.
15x10

I love the wheels but at some point I will change to the same wheel in a 15x8 or 8.5