News + current events

Call me crazy, but when information comes to light that changes our entire understanding of the universe and our place in it, I just don't think it's going to involve the singer from blink182.

He's probably more connected than we are. But, then, there are drugs likely involved.

He's probably more connected than we are. But, then, there are drugs likely involved.

Being rich and famous for decades often seems to leave people detached from reality. There could very well be a correlation between being rich and famous and doing drugs, but even without, I think the brain just does funny things when you live so insulated from the real world. There's a few exceptions here and there but I think most of the people that run in those circles are total weirdos. And now that I'm processing it a little more, it sounds like it could be an L Ron Hubbard novel, which the entertainment industry seems to find indistinguishable from religious text.

As for what's going on in the press, I 100% believe it to be distraction. Maybe tactical, maybe just for ratings. Doesn't really matter to me. I think the universe is too big for there not to be some sort of life out there, but I also think the universe is too big for any of it to find us.

Reactions: Apparition

FUCK YEA! Now if they'd just do away with all the electronic crap to start with! With that said, a dedicated device is virtually always better than a PHOOOOOONNE!! It never made sense to me why anyone would want to use an expensive data plan for music, then wirelessly send it to the car shortening the already abysmal battery life of their smartphone. Of course, it looks like this thing still relies on an expensive data plan - and I guess yet another one at that - to operate, but at least there won't be power/connectivity issues.

I don't buy the "safety" argument - even though it plays well with effete Americans. Its all about the money. How much is THIS gonna cost? What new creative way has GM come up with to suck money out of people's wallets this time? Or is it cheaper for them to go this way than to license Android Auto/Car play? This would be from GM after all, the KING of cost cutting (check your GM vehicle for a passenger side keyhole, but one for instance). *shrug*

FUCK YEA! Now if they'd just do away with all the electronic crap to start with! With that said, a dedicated device is virtually always better than a PHOOOOOONNE!! It never made sense to me why anyone would want to use an expensive data plan for music, then wirelessly send it to the car shortening the already abysmal battery life of their smartphone. Of course, it looks like this thing still relies on an expensive data plan - and I guess yet another one at that - to operate, but at least there won't be power/connectivity issues.

I don't buy the "safety" argument - even though it plays well with effete Americans. Its all about the money. How much is THIS gonna cost? What new creative way has GM come up with to suck money out of people's wallets this time? Or is it cheaper for them to go this way than to license Android Auto/Car play? This would be from GM after all, the KING of cost cutting (check your GM vehicle for a passenger side keyhole, but one for instance). *shrug*

"Additionally, the move aligns with GM’s focus on expanding subscription services through the infotainment system, potentially generating substantial income. The company aims to tap into the subscription market, hoping to make up to $25 billion per year from subscriptions alone by 2030. While GM’s decision has faced criticism, it aligns with a trend seen in companies like Tesla and Rivian, which also do not offer CarPlay and Android Auto."

• Puke
Reactions: Zorba
"Additionally, the move aligns with GM’s focus on expanding subscription services through the infotainment system, potentially generating substantial income. The company aims to tap into the subscription market, hoping to make up to $25 billion per year from subscriptions alone by 2030. While GM’s decision has faced criticism, it aligns with a trend seen in companies like Tesla and Rivian, which also do not offer CarPlay and Android Auto."

Uh-huh. Color me surprised. Not. They can take that shit and pound it. The CarCos sure have learned well from the TelCos and CableCos.

The “auto start” on my new Mazda requires a smartphone and app to use. Free for 2 yrs and then I have to pay. I think not. Auto start on my F250 is just done by pressing the remote.

• Puke
Reactions: Zorba
The “auto start” on my new Mazda requires a smartphone and app to use. Free for 2 yrs and then I have to pay. I think not. Auto start on my F250 is just done by pressing the remote.

I am willing to pay a subscription when the vendor is experiencing a continuing cost to provide the service. For example, a data plan or GPS/mapping or cloud based software where there is an expense per user associated with providing the service.

I have a problem when it costs them $0 more for me to use remote start or heated seats after they installed the hardware and I paid for it at initial purchase, and they want to continue bleeding me in perpetuity for tbe privilege of using something I own. I'm curious how the government views it because I don't consider it theft to bypass their means of disabling a feature like that. Someone could hack those systems to enable those features. Would a court consider that a crime?

My F350 starts via the app or remote, there are no extra charges for it. The app shows all kinds of info such as location of my truck, tire pressures, miles to empty, def level etc. I wouldn’t pay extra for it.

I got off that merry go round with the mention of "smartphone" and "app" - BUT - WTF is "auto start"?