Probably weird question about fishing reel

JEEPCJTJ

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland
What kind of reel is this? I could have sworn that it had some type of name or description but it has certainly left my mind and doesn't even appear to be on the box it came in. All I really remember is that Grandpa told me multiple times to use my thumb to stop it from spinning or it will unwind the line we'll be there all day cutting chunks out then replacing it. Oh yeah I also remember creating the problem a time or two.

FWIW, I'm not looking for one nor do I own this one. I'm just asking because this ad just randomly popped up and got me thinking about it again.
Screenshot_20240426-091459.png

Are you asking what general category it is? If so, it's a bait caster.

Yup, bait caster.

Bait caster. The term my memory was never going to come up with but most likely what I heard grandpa, and dad say several times.

Thanks Guys.

Now I may as well ask,

What was the line that seemed more like a fairly thick thread instead of a nice clear nylon. I'm pretty sure ours eventually turned a fairly dark green on time when my 12 yr old self put it away.

Bait caster. The term my memory was never going to come up with but most likely what I heard grandpa, and dad say several times.

Thanks Guys.

Now I may as well ask,

What was the line that seemed more like a fairly thick thread instead of a nice clear nylon. I'm pretty sure ours eventually turned a fairly dark green on time when my 12 yr old self put it away.

For trolling and stuff? Could be a lead core or copper line. They are made heavy to sink your bait down. That would be the only braided style of line that I know of…well, there is that spider wire stuff too. It’s supposed to be way tougher than monofilament, but it’s twisty as all get out. Might work on a bait caster, but I tried it on a spinning reel and was nothing but frustrated.

What was the line that seemed more like a fairly thick thread instead of a nice clear nylon.

That would be some type of braided line. Just like mono, or any other type of rope, there are a ton of different weights and types for different purposes.

1714181515624.jpeg

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ