Shop Air Compressor

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
I need a better compressor, I think 20 gallons around 5-6 CFM would do the trick for almost everything I do. Typically air tools, I don't paint, my little die grinders are the highest demand tool that use.

One of my pals at work won't shut up about his California Air that he got because it's so quiet. Seems like reviews are all over the place on them, and the negative ones seem to be mostly about lack of customer service. A quiet compressor would be great, but I'm always wearing ear plugs anyway when I'm running air tools.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083VN9NYK/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Also looking at a DeWalt

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HZI6F4/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Any other suggestions?

I have the dewalt. I like it but it’s hobby level use.
Yeah, that's about what I'm going for. I'd like a bigger one but I don't have a lot of room and I'm more Jewish than my Orthodox friends that I grew up with when it comes to money. I don't do as much stuff as I used to, probably turn it on for things other than filling tires a couple times a month. I don't really mind it taking a little longer if I have to grind something here & there.

Reactions: Apparition
Yeah, that's about what I'm going for. I'd like a bigger one but I don't have a lot of room and I'm more Jewish than my Orthodox friends that I grew up with when it comes to money. I don't do as much stuff as I used to, probably turn it on for things other than filling tires a couple times a month. I don't really mind it taking a little longer if I have to grind something here & there.
I got a steal of a deal on mine at Home Depot. They had it priced wrong and I questioned them if they’d sell it for that price and they did. Then they promptly updated the pricing on the rest of them. Can’t recall what it was though.

I’m more electric than air but have DA’s and die grinders etc.

I've been using a Campbell Hausfeld 20 gallon compressor for about 40 years. It powers all the air tools I have, but I've noticed some of the really cheap tools (Harbor Freight) require me to stop and wait for pressure to build, if used continuously. My impact gun to remove wheels lugs have never been a problem.

I have my garage hard piped with several drops, a drain, and a 50' hose reel.

I’m more electric than air but have DA’s and die grinders etc.
Yeah, I’ve gone electric for a few things but they’re still corded. I have so many air tools that are still in great shape from when I used to fix cars for a living, it would cost me a fortune to go cordless with them all.

Reactions: John Cooper
I've been using a Campbell Hausfeld 20 gallon compressor for about 40 years. It powers all the air tools I have, but I've noticed some of the really cheap tools (Harbor Freight) require me to stop and wait for pressure to build, if used continuously. My impact gun to remove wheels lugs have never been a problem.

One of these days when I’m done moving all over the place I’ll have a proper shop

Look for a belt driven cast iron oil bath unit. When I bought one last year for my North Dakota shop I got a Porter Cable from Tractor supply. The ones I looked at all seamed to have the same basic Made in China compressor unit and just had a different name plastered on them. Pay attention to the output/regulator and filter. Make sure you can get replacement elements over the life of the unit. I would buy extras just to have. The week point is the regulator and output manifold. I have a compressor sitting in the corner of my shop with a cracked manifold and I am unable to find a replacement for it.
My primary compressor at my Ca shop is a 30+ year old Craftsman 3hp the output is 3/8” pipe so it’s easy to fit a good regulator and a shut off valve. If the output is less than 3/8” you will have limitedCFM at the end of the hose. If you extrapolate the cost over the time a good unit that will last it’s worth spending the money for a good one.

47BB3443-F949-48DA-A0C7-C1F09C11F47F.jpeg

Reactions: JMT and qslim

Same CH compressor since 1985, cast iron, dual voltage motor, just works.
When I painted our 4Runner 2 years ago I put a 3 gal. pancake compressor in series, but not running just to increase tank capacity.
I used a HVLP gun and it worked just fine.
No hardpiping or hose reel.:(

Have a HF 175 PSI unit.

It’s low quality. I’ve moved most of my tools to electric.

But I’m considering a high end pump for a blast cabinet and other things.

It will go outside the shop in a doghouse.

Oil filled, belt driven, 220v if you need real air.

Reactions: PCO6
I've got a pretty simple 10 gallon oilfree attached to an airpig. It's worked great for my needs.

I used to have an old Sears 240v belt driven 40gal paint compressor that worked a treat. I didn't have 240v in the new place a while back and the panel was on the other side of the house so I gave it to a buddy.

20211017_132421.jpg

California Air is defiantly the quietest you will ever get. But if paying that much for quite is a concern look into Harbor Fright.

Have a HF 175 PSI unit.

It’s low quality. I’ve moved most of my tools to electric.

But I’m considering a high end pump for a blast cabinet and other things.

It will go outside the shop in a doghouse.

Oil filled, belt driven, 220v if you need real air.

I'd like to upgrade the pump on mine too but it works well and it's hard to justify the cost. In the meantime I added a second tank (60 + 30 gal.). All it does of course is increase the volume ... and the time it takes to fill it.

Air Compressor - Husky Sanborn.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Rick Flair
I have an industrial Curtis, 80 gallon, 220V. Its giant and can run my blast cabinet or a spray gun equally well. Hell, I can use my blast cabinet constant and the thing can recharge. As I transition to more and more electric tools though, I'm not sure the space its taking is worth it.

Just to throw it out there, try OfferUp and Craigslist for a good used unit. I bought a roll air (snap-on) unit for $1400, used it for two years then put a new pump on it ($700ish). It’s a $4k+ unit. I think it’s a 24cfm. It runs like new.

1635490521224.jpeg

Reactions: PCO6