Tailgate tarp recommendations?

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Looking for a few minimalist options. I basecamp and hike from the Jeep a few times a month. I am backpacker with knees that don't want to anymore so I have been camping out of the jeep more and more. With only a few exceptions all I bring is what I would normally have for a backpacking trip. I have switched to propane for cooking but still use a small ISO butane burner. I have a Jackery, a shovel and an axe, a RotoPax of water and a cooler. Other than that... it's my UL backpacking kit.

I work out of the back of the TJ. Made a simple tailgate table and use the top of the Bestop InstaTrunk as work surfaces. I usually flip the rear soft window up onto the soft top when working back there and zip the window and cover the open storage with a piece of Tyvek with magnets sewn in for weather protection but leave the tailgate open.

Last year I bought an SUV tent on a whim. You set it up and then back your vehicle up to it and attach a fabric snorkel between the tent and Jeep so the tailgate area is inside the tent. Never took the thing out of the box. I have always slept in a hammock and have no desire to go to a tent. I'm stuck with it.

Bought a Smittybilt Trail Shade a few years back but it doesn't really work with my setup. Looking for an alternative that can attach over the soft top or to the back of the Bestop Highrock cargo basket. Not looking for a popup. It has to fold/roll small. No metal parts other than poles if needed.

Any suggestions?