Hawaii TJ and moving to Hawaii

svipul

Wanted to find out if anyone on here lives in Hawaii with a TJ and could share their experience.
My move is coming up in a few month, and i need to make a decision on whether to sell it or ship it with me. What concerns me is being able to find or order parts when need comes, my TJ is steadily heading towards 175000 miles on the odometer, something failing is just a matter of time at this point.

My drivetrain, besides the transmission, is pretty much new, so no concerns there.
6 speed i think is living out its last miles, shifting quality went down the hill lately.
Radiator and heat core failed and replaced at 100000, so they are getting close to previous failed point.
Engine has been idling rough for the past 5 month, could be sensor, could be vacuum lines or fuel pump.

Addressing all the concerns at the moment would be difficult, lack of free time and moving expenses are adding up.

Wanted to find out if anyone on here lives in Hawaii with a TJ and could share their experience.
My move is coming up in a few month, and i need to make a decision on whether to sell it or ship it with me. What concerns me is being able to find or order parts when need comes, my TJ is steadily heading towards 175000 miles on the odometer, something failing is just a matter of time at this point.

My drivetrain, besides the transmission, is pretty much new, so no concerns there.
6 speed i think is living out its last miles, shifting quality went down the hill lately.
Radiator and heat core failed and replaced at 100000, so they are getting close to previous failed point.
Engine has been idling rough for the past 5 month, could be sensor, could be vacuum lines or fuel pump.

Addressing all the concerns at the moment would be difficult, lack of free time and moving expenses are adding up.

Everything is more expensive in Hawaii, as you know, so getting the parts is possible, but just expensive. Ideally you’d do a complete overhaul before you moved, but it sounds like you’re out of time. I think a Jeep would be fun on Hawaii (not sure what island you’re moving too), but a convertible would also be fun. I think you’d be looking for a more modern car that won’t need maintenance for many years.

Everything is more expensive in Hawaii, as you know, so getting the parts is possible, but just expensive. Ideally you’d do a complete overhaul before you moved, but it sounds like you’re out of time. I think a Jeep would be fun on Hawaii (not sure what island you’re moving too), but a convertible would also be fun. I think you’d be looking for a more modern car that won’t need maintenance for many years.

Honolulu and honestly not a clue, i imagine it as an island with nothing but coconuts and bananas there, and everyone is desperately waiting for another ship of goods to have things going. About to hop on the YT and educate myself.
I am expecting things to be more expensive, but how scarce are things? Can i at least purchase a ujoint at local autopart store, or is everything has to be ordered and shipped? How common are TJs there?
Don't know if i can drive something else, no car ever felt "right" to me until i got this Jeep. Traveled nearly entire US in it with a big smile, and that is another thing, so much sentimental connection.

• Haha
Reactions: inkedrose
Hawaii is part of the United States not a 3rd world country. They have mechanics, parts stores and Amazon. Flights come in several times a day with plenty of merch

Seems to me if memory serves, ,that Jeeps are a popular rental over there, speed limit 50 in most places. The cost to ship is substantial leading me to think sell and re purchase. But check the want ads to see how the prices compare. Not a bad place to run a 4cyl with the gas prices.

Seems to me if memory serves, ,that Jeeps are a popular rental over there, speed limit 50 in most places. The cost to ship is substantial leading me to think sell and re purchase. But check the want ads to see how the prices compare. Not a bad place to run a 4cyl with the gas prices.

Perfect speed for Jeep driving, and my Jeep gets about 16mpg with my set up at that speed.

From what i have gathered, shipping cost is about $1500 and can take up to 3 weeks.
Buying a new car there is expensive and choices are limited.
Shipping a new car would require to pay their local tax on it, but overall is still cheaper than buying there.
Used cars are in horrible condition and expensive.
Also, people say that everything rusts just like in a salt belt.

Perfect speed for Jeep driving, and my Jeep gets about 16mpg with my set up at that speed.

From what i have gathered, shipping cost is about $1500 and can take up to 3 weeks.
Shipping a new car would require to pay their local tax on it, but overall is still cheaper than buying there.

$1500 seems cheap or is that just the ocean portion? But a quick look and there is for sure some expensive stuff but check out this gem! Island Style😏

IMG_0997.jpeg

So is Alaska, but have you seen show Ice Truckers?

yes, but I don't believe everything I see on TV. Honolulu is big. Show up calling the locals banana picking coconut eaters you are not going to have a warm welcome. Haole is not a compliment

Honolulu and honestly not a clue, i imagine it as an island with nothing but coconuts and bananas there, and everyone is desperately waiting for another ship of goods to have things going. About to hop on the YT and educate myself.
I am expecting things to be more expensive, but how scarce are things? Can i at least purchase a ujoint at local autopart store, or is everything has to be ordered and shipped? How common are TJs there?
Don't know if i can drive something else, no car ever felt "right" to me until i got this Jeep. Traveled nearly entire US in it with a big smile, and that is another thing, so much sentimental connection.

You’ll enjoy it out there. The safety inspection can be a pain, and if they still do Recon inspections for modified vehicles are annoying but all doable.

There’s a few Jeep groups in the area via Facebook that should still be active ie Oahu Jeeps, 808 Jeep Krew that you can gain further knowledge.

As for parts, there’s a 4 wheel parts on island that can bring costs down regarding shipping to store as well as a local Jeep shop (Combs Performance) whose active in the Jeep FB groups, not to mention small things can ship for free via Amazon.

If you’re interested in wheeling, Peacock Flats is likely one of the better spots on the island. I enjoyed my time out there with my Jeep from 2016-2020.

IMG_4258.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JustDandee

If you can hack it now, order a new transmission from High Impact (if it’s a nsg370) throw it in the back of your Jeep and ship her to fix out there. Should still have members in those Facebook groups that throw wrenching parties

So is Alaska, but have you seen show Ice Truckers?

Exactly! I used to fly cargo into Alaska in a 727. Stuff you take for granted and as a convenience is not conveniently available nor at a decent price. Your parts need to get there and it's not cheap to fly them in.

If you decide to buy a used vehicle on the island its not bad. Just have to weed out the overpriced ones. Plenty of military bases on the island where it’s residents try to dump their vehicles for dirt cheap before leaving to another station.