burtpenguinnn

I've got an 03 Sahara TJ with a 42rle and SKIM, I want to do a manual swap but the SKIM system is making it a pain in the ass. On top of this I dont like the idea that (no matter how robust and reliable they are) computers are running my vehicle. Ive been thinking of doing a carb conversion for a long time, hell even an engine swap to something older like an old 5.3 or a 4.2.
Ive found a thread where a guy named JPHikr has the same plans and posted about it a little bit and posted links to some of the parts, im not sure if it was all of the major parts you'd need to do a full decomputerization.

Another question is, for my budget of around $4000 would it be easier to decomputerize my existing hardware (engine and drivetrain) or just to do a full engine and transmission swap
the question then is, what engine and transmission to get? it would have to be something with a carb, and no ECM or computers whatsoever.

I dont want no feedback on whether this is a good idea, I know its hard work to do these kinds of changes and conversions to a vehicle and I know that it sounds silly to most people to want these kinds of things.
all I want is some information on what route I should go with this.

quote from JPHikr below:

You say you don't want input on whether or not it's a good idea, but you want input.

If you're sold on a carb'd setup I would hypothetically swap in a 350 and be done with it.

I also wouldn't do that.

Apologies for my post being written strangely
What im asking for is feedback on how I should swap/decomputerize my TJ
What I mean by the "I dont want no feedback" part was I know that there's gonna be people saying that I should just leave it as it is and not pursue any of this because its more work than buying a CJ or something.

I was thinking about a 4.2 swap possibly as well.

Where can I find a 350 with no ECM/PCM or anything
iirc gm put computers on the 350 but I probably am wrong, I dont know much about GM powertrains

-Your trans is computer controlled, it would need to go.

A clifford carb intake for the 4.0l and an hei style distributor for a 4.2l is all you'd need for the motor.

Your gauges are computer controlled. It would need a plate with holes drilled for mechanical gauges

I'd just send your PCM to @Wranglerfix to convert it from auto to manual.

Wranglerfix.com.

Sure you could probably slap a carburetor on there...but that year has coil rails and more stuff...plus emissions.

-Mac

I appreciate it. Im more so interested in a full removal of all computers in my TJ even by means of engine swapping it and doing extensive powertrain work

If all else fails though, I'll still do an auto to manual swap. So I appreciate you letting me know of that site.

Reactions: macleanflood
-Your trans is computer controlled, it would need to go.

A clifford carb intake for the 4.0l and an hei style distributor for a 4.2l is all you'd need for the motor.

Your gauges are computer controlled. It would need a plate with holes drilled for mechanical gauges

transmission is already going, not a big fan of autos and not a big fan of the 42rle either (compared to other options out there)

JPHikr already posted the stuff you'd need to do for the gauges in the post I quoted at the top of the thread.
If this is all I would need to do to fully get rid of computers in this TJ that aint too bad.

Is there anything else I need to know for a swap like this?

To keep it under 4000$ and finish it, I’d say carburetor and required parts on the 4.0. And swap in a manual behind the 4.0.

I also understand you don’t want any negative feedback. Hopefully you don’t enjoy off camber wheeling. Even with an “off-road” carb. It sucks and I’ve owned several GM carbed trucks and tried to do mild wheeling. EFI swapped every one.

Awesome thanks
Like I said im no expert on GM engines or powertrains, I didn't know they made 350s w/o computers.

They've been making 350's since the late 60's.

Of course we all know that Chevy didn't make the 327 until 1962, and it wasn't offered in the Bel Air with a 4 barrel carb until 1964 (proper timing is 4* BTDC).

transmission is already going, not a big fan of autos and not a big fan of the 42rle either (compared to other options out there)

JPHikr already posted the stuff you'd need to do for the gauges in the post I quoted at the top of the thread.
If this is all I would need to do to fully get rid of computers in this TJ that aint too bad.

Is there anything else I need to know for a swap like this?

Lots of little things like fuel system,possible driveshafts,trans mounts,wiring,throttle linkage,carb tuning. Same as any conversion. Everything will need adjusted,sometimes over and over. Getting a wranglerfix pcm and fixing a few issues on your jeep really is the easier route.

To keep it under 4000$ and finish it, I’d say carburetor and required parts on the 4.0. And swap in a manual behind the 4.0.

I also understand you don’t want any negative feedback. Hopefully you don’t enjoy off camber wheeling. Even with an “off-road” carb. It sucks and I’ve owned several GM carbed trucks and tried to do mild wheeling. EFI swapped every one.

I've lived the carb life before, all I can think about this thread is "guy wants to ruin his Jeep".

I think the only thing I would even consider to go computerless would be a mechanical injected diesel.

I've lived the carb life before, all I can think about this thread is "guy wants to ruin his Jeep".

I think the only thing I would even consider to go computerless would be a mechanical injected diesel.

That gives me an idea... Would it be possible to convert a 4.0 to an MFI system? and i know in terms of reliability and the work it would need it wouldnt be better, but would it be better than a carb if it was/is possible?

• Face Palm
Reactions: 707kevin
This is a bad idea. You want a CJ. Buy a CJ.

I understand that this is a lot of work and im sure buying a CJ would be easier. However for reasons of my own pride or stupidity or whatever it is, I would rather do this because i have the money (i can come up with more than the originally mentioned $4000 for this project) and i have the time.

You can say something is a bad idea for a lot of reasons, What in particular is a bad idea about doing this kind of work? (an engine & transmission swap, or carb conversion and few complex mods to decomputerize it)
im asking as a genuine question because im curious about this kind of thing, not to be a troll or anything. although i understand that all of this is really unconventional.

also i would say to you:
is it easier to do this kind of conversion? or put coil springs on a CJ?

also i would say to you:
is it easier to do this kind of conversion? or put coil springs on a CJ?

I would much rather put coilovers on a CJ. And I would much rather put a modern computer controlled engine into that same CJ. I have absolutely no romantic nostalgia for carburetors.

What im asking for is feedback on how I should swap/decomputerize my TJ

Sell the TJ, buy a CJ.

Like I said im no expert on GM engines or powertrains, I didn't know they made 350s w/o computers.

Really? You're asking about doing complicated conversions, and you had no idea SBCs were around 20+ years before computers were even attempted in vehicles?

I understand that this is a lot of work and im sure buying a CJ would be easier.

You don't even seem to have a basic understanding of what it would take.
However for reasons of my own pride or stupidity or whatever it is

It is stupidity.
You can say something is a bad idea for a lot of reasons, What in particular is a bad idea about doing this kind of work? (an engine & transmission swap, or carb conversion and few complex mods to decomputerize it)

You would basically need to gut your TJ, and start over with a roller (chassis and body), nothing else. If this is a wrecked, rusted out mud bogger never to see the road again, then sure, cut and splice away. But why would you do that to a good Jeep, which I assume is the Jeep in your avatar? That's not even touching on the legal aspects.

Sell the TJ, buy a CJ.

Really? You're asking about doing complicated conversions, and you had no idea SBCs were around 20+ years before computers were even attempted in vehicles?

You don't even seem to have a basic understanding of what it would take.

It is stupidity.

You would basically need to gut your TJ, and start over with a roller (chassis and body), nothing else. If this is a wrecked, rusted out mud bogger never to see the road again, then sure, cut and splice away. But why would you do that to a good Jeep, which I assume is the Jeep in your avatar? That's not even touching on the legal aspects.

Aside from the feds. What are the smog ramifications in SC?