Tune-up?

D-ran903

I bought my 2006 rubicon with about 94,000 miles on it and currently have about 107,000. I use it as a daily driver. I’m slowly learning how to work on it but don’t have access to many tools or a garage. I figured out how to replace the o2 sensors fine amd saved some money. But thinking it needs a tune up. Engine sounds a little rough some days after driving to the airport every day for class (flight school) just wanting to make sure i do everything right by keeping it taken care of driving 50 miles 5 times a week. I was thinking maybe the spark plugs need replaced. Still need to change my other 2 o2 sensors but haven’t had a check engine light. Is this something i can do myself or am i better off taking it somewhere and asking for a tuneup? Also any suggestions in Austin tx where i can take it?

IMG_1082.jpeg

Tuneup on an 06 will only involve changing spark plugs, which is an easy task that takes about an hour with common hand tools.

Use Autolite XP-985 iridium plugs and you'll never have to change them again. It takes 30 minutes tops. Check and change the air filter as needed too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peppergat
I bought my 2006 rubicon with about 94,000 miles on it and currently have about 107,000. I use it as a daily driver. I’m slowly learning how to work on it but don’t have access to many tools or a garage. I figured out how to replace the o2 sensors fine amd saved some money. But thinking it needs a tune up. Engine sounds a little rough some days after driving to the airport every day for class (flight school) just wanting to make sure i do everything right by keeping it taken care of driving 50 miles 5 times a week. I was thinking maybe the spark plugs need replaced. Still need to change my other 2 o2 sensors but haven’t had a check engine light. Is this something i can do myself or am i better off taking it somewhere and asking for a tuneup? Also any suggestions in Austin tx where i can take it?

View attachment 524817
Like the @TheBoogiemansaid Change airfilter/sparkplugs

* Clean that IAC valve(Idle air control)
* Clean or get a new NGK/Mopar TPS (Throttle position sensor)
* If that coil rail fails or breaks on you I'd recommend the KSuspension bracket for a Ripp Superchargers coilpack setup! But don't get the plugs wires that are included in the rippKit because they suck!

My jeep was running a bit rough due to 210k miles at the time but I did all that and it felt great 😁
Injectors help too along with The DEI Insulation kit!

Like the @TheBoogiemansaid Change airfilter/sparkplugs

* Clean that IAC valve(Idle air control)
* Clean or get a new NGK/Mopar TPS (Throttle position sensor)
* If that coil rail fails or breaks on you I'd recommend the KSuspension bracket for a Ripp Superchargers coilpack setup! But don't get the plugs wires that are included in the rippKit because they suck!

My jeep was running a bit rough due to 210k miles at the time but I did all that and it felt great 😁
Injectors help too along with The DEI Insulation kit!

Gotcha. Will do some YouTube university studying and see what i can do!

What O2 sensors did you install? If they weren't the correct NTK/NGK ones then you may have problems sooner down the line.

Give this thread a read before you change the other ones. It has the correct PN's for your upstream and downstream sensor shown on the first post. This is important.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/the-official-jeep-wrangler-tj-oxygen-o2-sensor-thread.4068/

I did NTK for both that i did. I’d have to look back to see which ones i exactly did but i know i did those right!

The upper O2s are the ones that matter most to how it runs.

You'll probably find the plugs in there are shot. If they used reg plugs, they are only good for 30K or so before the gap widens significantly.

The other thing to be aware of on an 06 is the OPDA issue. You can Google it. If yours says MOPAR/LDI, it is the bad design. If you hear a laughing monkey sound, it's going out fairly soon.

Reactions: BlueC

You'll probably find the plugs in there are shot. If they used reg plugs, they are only good for 30K or so before the gap widens significantly.

The other thing to be aware of on an 06 is the OPDA issue. You can Google it. If yours says MOPAR/LDI, it is the bad design. If you hear a laughing monkey sound, it's going out fairly soon.

I Replaced these 2 already a few months back
NTK #23018 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)
NTK #23160 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)

Reactions: TheBoogieman

Kinda hard to read but ?

IMG_1138.jpeg

Consider shopping for hand tools at Harbor Freight, their line of Pittsburg sockets and wrenches are a good value and are guaranteed. Not everything at Harbor Freight is a value even if the price makes you think about it, you have to be selective when shopping there, but the hand tools are something to consider. Just Sayin!
Nice Jeep, I used to love Austin, not so much anymore! :(

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Consider shopping for hand tools at Harbor Freight, their line of Pittsburg sockets and wrenches are a good value and are guaranteed. Not everything at Harbor Freight is a value even if the price makes you think about it, you have to be selective when shopping there, but the hand tools are something to consider. Just Sayin!
Nice Jeep, I used to love Austin, not so much anymore! :(

I’ve made a few trips there and will definitely go back. And i appreciate it. Working progress. And yeah it’s not what i thought it was but went to Texas State and then started flight school in Georgetown so I’m just here until i can go to the airlines!