Would it be best to install a front or rear locker?

just curious, my jeep isn't locked, but my Lexus is. One thing I noticed with locking the front, is on steep descents in loose stuff, the rear doesn't like to follow the front and has a tendency to try to slide around the front, much more so than if the front lockers are off. Now, the Lexus lockers are sequential--first rear, then front, so you can't engage the front without the rear already engaged. So it could be the combination of both. Admittedly, there are rarely reasons to lock anything on descents like that, and its one of the reasons I am very selective with lockers--turning them on when needed, and off the minute they are no longer needed.

Jesus christ you guys got crazy there. Was only looking for a simple answer, I was leaning more towards the front, because there's more weight up there, and alot of the trails in my area is in the woods, lots of root balls and holes, issues im having are getting a tire in the air and loosing traction, ornot getting up the wet slimy roots, then having to hit it a little harder than I would like to to get over

Jesus christ you guys got crazy there. Was only looking for a simple answer, I was leaning more towards the front, because there's more weight up there, and alot of the trails in my area is in the woods, lots of root balls and holes, issues im having are getting a tire in the air and loosing traction, ornot getting up the wet slimy roots, then having to hit it a little harder than I would like to to get over

No matter which one you do, you will have half of the guys say you did it right and the other half that say you should have done it the way they did it and the other half say that you should have locked front and rear and the other half say that you did it wrong because you locked the right end, but didn't use their brand of locker!

(yes, I know, there are lots of halves in there lol)

• Haha
Reactions: Kon and SvtLdr
Yes, the rear has to be locked before the front can be.

How is not allowing the front to be locked without the rear locked a safety measure?

For most people, locking the rear gives enough traction for the average Joe. If Jeep allowed the front only to lock, lawsuits would follow when idiots drove and locked the front only and couldn't steer. I bought my first Jeep because my job depends on me driving for 3 hours at 2am, even in 3' of snow. In 3' of snow and locked in 4LO, U--turns are near impossible on a city street.

Do the front, like I originally said and there is no Jesus Christ. The Democrats, Twitter and Facebook made sure his posts were deleted too. Just like they did with Trump. Jesus was a known Republican . I'm Catholic so I know this stuff. 🤫
Google Catechism. It's the Catholic way of making little kids go to school on Saturdays. I still have nightmares of that Nun.
p.s. The movie The Nun didn't help.

Last edited:
Do the front, like I originally said and there is no Jesus Christ. The Democrats, Twitter and Facebook made sure his posts were deleted too. Just like they did with Trump. Jesus was a known Republican . I'm Catholic so I know this stuff. 🤫
Google Catechism. It's the Catholic way of making little kids go to school on Saturdays. I still have nightmares of that Nun.
p.s. The movie The Nun didn't help.

Talk about nightmares... I was an alter boy for about 6 years. :oops:

I was leaning more towards the front, because there's more weight up there,
Actually, if you're climbing, the weight goes to the rear. Less weight up front, less traction, front locker helps. More weight in the rear, more traction to both wheels, rear locker not needed. However, as I mentioned earlier, it depends on what type of wheeling you plan to do.
Maybe ask others in your area what works best.

Reactions: jjvw