Axe / hatchet recommendations

Have you tried splitting any of that oak? Southern oaks are like northern elms. Very twisty grain that is very challenging to split. I built a hydraulic splitter that attaches to the three-point hitch on my tractor because the oaks we have are too much for these old joints to split!

I haven't. We have a proportion of the twisty stuff for sure but even the straighter post oaks are hard as a rock, slow growth from being so densely packed that they've been competing for sunlight. I counted rings on a couple that were surprisingly (to me) small diameter for being 60 years old. I also have a couple of elms ready to split. Figured I had to at least try it the old fashioned way before I go for a hydraulic...if I can get through one season I'll be happy.

Every once in a while I think about picking up an axe or hatchet. But then come to the conclusion that all I really need is the splitting maul I have had for probably 20 years. Dont know what advertised weight is, but its 9.8lbs on the scale.

Have split hundreds of rounds with that dumb thing.

20231028_155522.jpg

Every once in a while I think about picking up an axe or hatchet. But then come to the conclusion that all I really need is the splitting maul I have had for probably 20 years. Dont know what advertised weight is, but its 9.8lbs on the scale.

Have split hundreds of rounds with that dumb thing.

View attachment 472237

Far more artillery than I need!

Reactions: CMBD
Why do you want something so small? Are you hiking with it? I like to use full-sized tools.

Why do you want something so small? Are you hiking with it? I like to use full-sized tools.
No, not hiking with it. When backpacking I carry a half-pound hand saw and stick to wrist size pieces that need to be worked to length but not split. When backpacking I pack UL so won’t carry an ax.. I don’t typically spend a lot of time in camp. Clean up, eat and sleep.

My knees aren’t what they used to be so more and more I am base camping out of the jeep and taking a lite pack hiking. Spending more time in camp so upscaling my gear just a bit.

I’m not clearing trees and splitting cords of firewood. Mostly dead fall and small stuff. The small hatchet has been pretty useful for my needs but I want something slightly bigger and with a splitter profile. Mid size seems to make the most sense to me.

Reactions: lBasket and CMBD
you have used one?

Yes I have one laying around somewhere. I haven't touched it in years. It could be useful for someone who buys split wood and occasionally needs to make an oversized piece smaller.

Yes I have one laying around somewhere. I haven't touched it in years. It could be useful for someone who buys split wood and occasionally needs to make an oversized piece smaller.

My dad had a little wedge like that for splitting, but it was just the metal triangular part, no handle. He loved it, til he got an electric splitter

My dad had a little wedge like that for splitting, but it was just the metal triangular part, no handle. He loved it, til he got an electric splitter

Wedges and a sledgehammer are a great way to split big rounds. The slidehammer wedge thing just isn't efficient.

Reactions: lBasket
Ah I see. I didn't see it was also a slide hammer lol

yeah you set the wedge down and slide the 10lb handle up and down in a giant jackoff motion. You're basically holding a sledgehammer head between your hands and swinging that at the wedge, so you don't have the advantage of a handle. It sucks. There's a reason we put handles on hammers/mauls/axes.

The only good think is you don't have to worry about aim. So it has a purpose for people who won't swing an axe.

Reactions: lBasket and MikekiM
yeah you set the wedge down and slide the 10lb handle up and down in a giant jackoff motion. You're basically holding a sledgehammer head between your hands and swinging that at the wedge, so you don't have the advantage of a handle. It sucks. There's a reason we put handles on hammers/mauls/axes.

The only good think is you don't have to worry about aim. So it has a purpose for people who won't swing an axe.

tenor5e25e285cb.gif

Closure…

I purchased the Fiskars x11 splitter. I have a backwoods trip planned for this weekend and will give it a go.
Initial thoughts…
  • The build quality seems quite good. Not issues I can see
  • Handle feels great and a perfect length for what I need. Just the right amount of texture to make it feel secure without feeling like I must wear gloves
  • There’s no real belly or throat on the handle but the end knob is quite pronounced and there’s little chance of the axe slipping from my hand
  • Lanyard holes.. I won’t use them
  • Head has a decent weight to it. I’d love to see a cut-away of how the head to handle construction is accomplished.
  • Splitting bulges are pronounced enough and would seem to be well designed
  • Gave it a go on a few pieces of wood I have at home and it felt great.
  • Touched up the edge (it took only a minute and I am sure I won’t go hungry)
  • I hate the sheath. Over-engineered. I don’t need the handle on the sheath. There are a few custom Kydex options for it. Will probably wait until after the holiday to pursue those.