Confusing transmission fluid readings

BigGuy7

So my 2005 LJ with approximately 150,000 miles on it has been leaking ATF slowly. It’s hasn’t been a huge concern of mine as I’ve just been periodically adding fluid. I constantly check the level to make sure I keep up on it and every time I do, the dipstick reads just fine. However, I’ve had to drain the transmission fluid a couple times now & each time is has been about a quart & a half low (again, even though the dipstick reads that it’s good). Now I have a CEL & one of the codes is p0700. I’ve read that low transmission fluid could be one cause of this code. Before I go out and buy a new TCM, I was curious if anyone had any advice/ideas on how to get a true reading on the dipstick? I’ve checked it while hot, cold, level ground, etc. & again it’s read fine when I know after draining fluid that it is low.

So my 2005 LJ with approximately 150,000 miles on it has been leaking ATF slowly. It’s hasn’t been a huge concern of mine as I’ve just been periodically adding fluid. I constantly check the level to make sure I keep up on it and every time I do, the dipstick reads just fine. However, I’ve had to drain the transmission fluid a couple times now & each time is has been about a quart & a half low (again, even though the dipstick reads that it’s good). Now I have a CEL & one of the codes is p0700. I’ve read that low transmission fluid could be one cause of this code. Before I go out and buy a new TCM, I was curious if anyone had any advice/ideas on how to get a true reading on the dipstick? I’ve checked it while hot, cold, level ground, etc. & again it’s read fine when I know after draining fluid that it is low.

Welcome

0700 is a generic transmission code and doesn't really indicate the issue.
There's only one way to check it. Doing it differently will give you false readings.
Best if checked after driving so it's properly warmed up; and checked with the engine running.
If you still think it might be the PCM, you can disconnect the battery to reset it.
If the problem goes away temporarily but returns; call Wranglerfix.

I've read on these forums, that it's okay to run the 42RLE overfilled by a quart. Apparently some, including builders of KOH class Jeeps do it to account for high angles while off-roading.

I would be figuring out where your leak is and repairing that before throwing a TCM at it, especially if it's shifting fine when filled properly. Maybe you know, but make sure you're checking fluid level in your transmission with the Engine running and at operating temperature.

Unrelated, but I know that GM 4L60e and 4L80e transmissions are also safe to run an extra quart in as well per my transmission builder for my other toys. It was recommended to take the pan off and mark the dipstick 1/4" above the valve body machined surface and fill to that. It's at least an extra quart the 4L80e in my Procharged Silverado.

I constantly check the level to make sure I keep up on it and every time I do, the dipstick reads just fine. However, I’ve had to drain the transmission fluid a couple times now & each time is has been about a quart & a half low (again, even though the dipstick reads that it’s good).
I don't understand, if the dipstick reads full why do you think you're a quart and a half low?

Transmission in neutral?

-Mac

Assuming his '05 has the 42RLE, being in N is not required; the torque converter will charge with it in park (unlike the 32RH).

Reactions: macleanflood