F150 weight distribution hitch recommendations

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
2019 F150 3.5 Eco Boost with the max tow package.

Going to be towing a 6.5’ x 20’ trailer with a bunch of our belongings on our move to Wyoming.

Looking for recommendations on a weight distribution hitch.

Reactions: ColoJeep
Reese is another option. ( Sorry , I don't know how to link the site ) .
Keep your weight forward , speed very reasonable , check the load range for the truck tires , and keep BOTH eyes scanning for antelope !!! :)

Reactions: Chris
Thanks guys! First time towing. I’ve driven some big trucks before but never towed. Just trying to do my research so I get it right the first time.

Thanks guys! First time towing. I’ve driven some big trucks before but never towed. Just trying to do my research so I get it right the first time.

Take it slow and practice turns in a parking lot a few hours before so you know how wide you need to turn. It won't be easy to reload the trailer so be mindful while you load it the first time. Allow plenty of time if you need to take an extra day with the drive and be safe!

Reactions: BlueC
Take it slow and practice turns in a parking lot a few hours before so you know how wide you need to turn. It won't be easy to reload the trailer so be mindful while you load it the first time. Allow plenty of time if you need to take an extra day with the drive and be safe!

That's the plan. We have a huge open space near our home so I'm going to do a lot of practicing a few days before we head out.

This will be a nice time to try out the trailer backup assist on my F150 which I have yet to test out.

When loading a trailer like this it sounds like I want most of the weight in front of the axles and evenly balanced side-to-side as much as possible. I'm going to take extra time to load it and make sure to do just that.

When loading a trailer like this it sounds like I want most of the weight in front of the axles and evenly balanced side-to-side as much as possible. I'm going to take extra time to load it and make sure to do just that.

I've never used a weight distribution hitch before so someone else can speak in more absolute terms I'm sure, but if you have extremely heavy stuff you might want to place it over the wheels to prevent too much tongue weight — especially if your family is riding along or you have the truck/bed full of more stuff so you don't go over payload capacity.

You're probably looking for 60% of the weight in front of the wheels, 40% behind. If in doubt, go a little tongue heavy.

Trailers are for carrying, trucks are for pulling. You want the heaviest, or center mass, of your load to be above and just forward of the center of the trailer axle(s). If you're getting nerdy, 5-10% on the tongue.

Will you be pulling a single or tandem axle trailer? Either way, make sure your trailer brakes are working, and practice backing that trailer up until you are very comfortable. You never know when you'll have to pull it through a drive through or back it up 1/2 mile. I have done both.

Also, make sure you have at least one spare tire for that trailer. They tend to be dragged through areas that most tires don't go, so they find the nails and junk waiting around.

Reactions: Chris and Wildman
X 3 on the Equalizer hitch. I use it on my F150 pulling a 25" travel trailer, very stable.
Get proper tow mirrors.
Have a proper jack and lug wrench to change a flat trailer tire. Practice with it before you head out.
If you have tandem axles on the trailer get a Trailer Aid tire changing ramp.

Reactions: toximus
Equalizer.

10 to 15% of total trailer weight on the tongue.

Don't exceed truck GVWR, Trailer GVWR, or Combined GVTW (gross vehicle train weight). Don't exceed truck tongue weight.

Adjust the weight transfer on the weight distributing hitch.

If your Ford has Tow / Haul mode, use it.

Two passes over a CAT scale will tell you everything you need to know about weight.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Chris and ColoJeep
Anyone else thinking this? Except driving the other direction.

hillbilly-beverly.gif

I've never used a weight distribution hitch before so someone else can speak in more absolute terms I'm sure, but if you have extremely heavy stuff you might want to place it over the wheels to prevent too much tongue weight — especially if your family is riding along or you have the truck/bed full of more stuff so you don't go over payload capacity.

You're probably looking for 60% of the weight in front of the wheels, 40% behind. If in doubt, go a little tongue heavy.

Family isn't riding along, just me and the dog. Fortunately I don't have anything that's profoundly heavy other than perhaps my toolbox. That will for sure be the heaviest.

Also, trailer in question:

00Q0Q_3EH4gXZAnUY_0x20oM_1200x900.jpg

Going to have to remove that toolbox to install the WDH.

Reactions: ColoJeep
If this is your first time pulling a trailer, go practice with it empty. That thing is gonna catch wind like a sail, so just tow it around and get a feel for it. A gust from a truck passing you the first time will probably push you into another lane, if you're not anticipating and able to react to it. The biggest thing to remember is swinging wide on RH turns. That trailer will track inside the truck so if you just miss a curb in the truck, the trailer will run it over.

Also, get some traffic cones and pretend they are gas station islands. Try to back the trailer in without running them over.

To pratice backing up, hook a small yard trailer up to a riding tractor if you can. The short tongue and wheelbase of that set-up will react MUCH more quickly than your truck and trailer. If you can back that up without jacknifing, you'll be GTG with the truck and trailer.

Reactions: BlueC and toximus