F150 weight distribution hitch recommendations

You're probably already on it, but I'd make sure you get a tire on that rim if it's your spare...

Also, get some traffic cones and pretend they are gas station islands. Try to back the trailer in without running them over.

That's actually a really good point — something I rarely deal with in the truck lanes The rear end of that trailer is going to want to swing into the pumps if he pulls out too quickly. I've seen someone wreck their trailer against those concrete pillars and not even realize it. Just don't pull close to the pumps and hope the filler hose is long.

If this is your first time pulling a trailer, go practice with it empty. That thing is gonna catch wind like a sail, so just tow it around and get a feel for it. A gust from a truck passing you the first time will probably push you into another lane, if you're not anticipating and able to react to it. The biggest thing to remember is swinging wide on RH turns. That trailer will track inside the truck so if you just miss a curb in the truck, the trailer will run it over.

Also, get some traffic cones and pretend they are gas station islands. Try to back the trailer in without running them over.

To pratice backing up, hook a small yard trailer up to a riding tractor if you can. The short tongue and wheelbase of that set-up will react MUCH more quickly than your truck and trailer. If you can back that up without jacknifing, you'll be GTG with the truck and trailer.

Yep, we've got a big church right down the road with a nice sized parking lot. Going to do what you suggested and get some cones to practice with the trailer empty before I give this a go.

Hopefully that trailer backup assist on the F150 will help. Watching the videos it seems pretty intuitive.

You're probably already on it, but I'd make sure you get a tire on that rim if it's your spare...

That's actually a really good point — something I rarely deal with in the truck lanes The rear end of that trailer is going to want to swing into the pumps if he pulls out too quickly. I've seen someone wreck their trailer against those concrete pillars and not even realize it. Just don't pull close to the pumps and hope the filler hose is long.

Absolutely, first order of business is to put a tire on that rim.

Good advice on the pumps. I'm going to do my best to only stop at the truck stops. They generally have much bigger lanes compared to your typical little gas station.

I guess that's the good news here is that almost all of my driving will be interstate.

I'll have to get used to those winds. Reading the reviews though, it seems like the Equalizer does a pretty good job with managing winds. At least that's what folks are saying.

That thing is gonna catch wind like a sail, so just tow it around and get a feel for it. A gust from a truck passing you the first time will probably push you into another lane, if you're not anticipating and able to react to it.

Is that a bumper pull thing or a smaller truck thing (or both)? My enclosed gooseneck is my only experienced with large enclosed trailers so I'm just curious since wind and other trucks are entirely unnoticeable.

Good advice on the pumps. I'm going to do my best to only stop at the truck stops. They generally have much bigger lanes compared to your typical little gas station.

I wish the truck pumps sold gasoline too. But yeah, good point that they tend to be bigger even on the car side.

Is that a bumper pull thing or a smaller truck thing (or both)? My enclosed gooseneck is my only experienced with large enclosed trailers so I'm just curious since wind and other trucks are entirely unnoticeable.

Probably a little of both. I've never towed 5th wheel or gooseneck, so I don't know. Intuitively, I'd guess having the tongue weight directly over the axle vs 5 feet (or more) away make a big difference. That much of a moment arm I'd guess can create a bit of a tail wagging the dog situation. Its not always a problem, but when it is, you want to know what to do and not crap your pants. Wind is MUCH more of a problem in my motorhome for some reason.

Reactions: toximus
I would expect it to be, but at 20' that's not guaranteed.

Hell, my dad had a 29' "Pacer" house trailer that was single axle back in the very late 50s/very early 60s. He pulled out of Royal City Washington after we had lived there for about a year, got it up on the highway and one of the tires blew. That was a couple of hour trip into Moses Lake with the wheel to get a new tire. New tire mounted, he proceeded down the road. I forget how far he got, but it wasn't far before the other tire blew. Another couple of hours...

A year or so after that, he traded it off on a 33' with dual axles...

Reactions: ColoJeep and Chris
Yep, we've got a big church right down the road with a nice sized parking lot. Going to do what you suggested and get some cones to practice with the trailer empty before I give this a go.

Hopefully that trailer backup assist on the F150 will help. Watching the videos it seems pretty intuitive.

Give yourself 2x as much room as you'll think you'll need at first. I'd actually recommend you NOT use trailer assist to start. Learn how to do it manually, then turn the assist on and let it assist you when you already know what your supposed to be doing.

Reactions: tworley
I wish the truck pumps sold gasoline too. But yeah, good point that they tend to be bigger even on the car side.

Yeah that’s the nice thing about those truck stops. They generally make them very big for easy in and easy out access. Makes a difference when you’re driving something big and long.

In hindsight I should have bought a diesel. I guess the good news is that I won’t have much weight in the truck itself and in the trailer I shouldn’t have more than 3000 lbs. at most if I had to guess. Likely a lot less since we got rid of all the furniture.

Give yourself 2x as much room as you'll think you'll need at first.

Sound advice! I’ll be sure to do just that.

I’m going to check out the tires too. Make sure they aren’t too old and that they’re rated for this. Last thing I need is a blown out tire if I can avoid it.

Last thing I need is a blown out tire if I can avoid it.

Does your insurance offer road side assistance? Mine charges only few dollars extra. Might be worth adding it for the month you'll be doing this trip.

Edit: But yeah, still totally try to avoid issues. Just saves you from dying on the side of the road if you can't make it to an exit ramp.

Not really worth it imho for 1 trip. And you're probably happier day to day with gas.

I suspect you’re right. I’m very happy with this truck so far. We will see how it does towing though. That’s the real test.

Sound advice! I’ll be sure to do just that.

I’m going to check out the tires too. Make sure they aren’t too old and that they’re rated for this. Last thing I need is a blown out tire if I can avoid it.

Good idea - trailer tires are notorious for dry rot. Don't be afraid of normal service stations - just pay attention to what you're doing and be aware of your surroundings and what you're driving into.

But "park defensively". If you're parking at a McD's for lunch, park such that you can pull out regardless of what some idiot may do - its garan-fucking-teed that when you park out in the back 40, some idiot will park right next to you. I'll usually cross park across several spaces, but pull forward enough and turn at the last moment so the front of my truck is in the "last" parking space near a curb/island, angled so I can get out. Otherwise some fool will park in front of you - and they don't always do it out of maliciousness - they're just stupid. I chewed one idiot out one time - "you have the whole parking lot and you have to park way out here RIGHT next to me!"

Reactions: Chris and toximus
Good idea - trailer tires are notorious for dry rot. Don't be afraid of normal service stations - just pay attention to what you're doing and be aware of your surroundings and what you're driving into.

But "park defensively". If you're parking at a McD's for lunch, park such that you can pull out regardless of what some idiot may do - its garan-fucking-teed that when you park out in the back 40, some idiot will park right next to you. I'll usually cross park across several spaces, but pull forward enough and turn at the last moment so the front of my truck is in the "last" parking space near a curb/island, angled so I can get out. Otherwise some fool will park in front of you - and they don't always do it out of maliciousness - they're just stupid. I chewed one idiot out one time - "you have the whole parking lot and you have to park way out here RIGHT next to me!"

Don't have to park if you go through the McDonalds drive through!

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Haha
Reactions: BlueC and Chris
AAA didn't used to touch trailers - but that was then...

I need to check because there’s a chance they might not. I just assumed and assuming is never a good idea.

Yep, I’ve never driven a trailer before but this one I just automatically knew. I see people do this all the time and it makes sense. Last thing you need is to be boxed in by some yahoo.

I've actually towed my little itty-bitty 4x6 utility trailer through the drive through several times (with the Jeep). But its so little that it really doesn't matter.
View attachment 523887

Incidentally, this picture shows how NOT to load a trailer. I had picked up the lightweight rain barrels at one location, then stopped off at Homeless Despot on the way home and put 5 large bags of potting soil behind the axle. I actually had negative tongue weight (Pintle/Lunette). I let it go as I was right at 1 mile from home via 25 MPH back streets.