So my daughter decided she wants to learn how to wrench

Szydd

Its junk, but its my piece of junk. For now
Supporting Member
So I thought maybe a Jeep would be a good project for her to play with. SO here we are 1997.. Pretty much stock, 4.0, 5 speed and 137k. We are in New England so the frame is crusty but there are no holes. Now the Problem... I have fallen in love with it...

Thanks for the add here. Have learned so much information about TJs already and am looking forward to how this project will turn out. We will probably just do general maintenance and safety for the summer and see where it brings us.

PXL_20240422_204935398.jpg
PXL_20240422_204946658.jpg

If you think you are in love now....just wait til ya pull the top. Might get hooked as bad as us.

The TJ is as good as about anything to wrench on- parts are available, it’s not high tech and overly complicated, and has room to get under too.

Be safe and start spraying penetrating oil all over.

Another MA member!

I learned all my wrenching so far on my jeep. Love it. The first time taking the top off in the Spring is the greatest feeling ever (yesterday, for me).

I took mine, stock, on the NH class VI roads the first year I had it. I really didn't find much of anything I couldn't drive over. They're super capable, and leaving it stock for the first year was a great way to get to know the quirks before I started throwing parts at it.

So I thought maybe a Jeep would be a good project for her to play with. SO here we are 1997.. Pretty much stock, 4.0, 5 speed and 137k. We are in New England so the frame is crusty but there are no holes. Now the Problem... I have fallen in love with it...

Thanks for the add here. Have learned so much information about TJs already and am looking forward to how this project will turn out. We will probably just do general maintenance and safety for the summer and see where it brings us.

View attachment 522832View attachment 522833

Sounds wonderful! I taught both my sons as they were growing up wrenching on cars. Started out by having them do brake pads and rotors . They're now all grown up and learned to enjoy it on their own.

Reactions: John Cooper
I bought my first TJ this year to learn how to wrench and I’m in my 30’s 🤣 She is a lucky kiddo. I’ve been toying around with finding one for my 13 yr old to learn how to wrench and drive around here in a few years. Invaluable skills and connection time for you two 💕

Love my 97. Super easy to work on!

Lots of good YouTube channels out there for inspiring young women to succeed wheeling and wrenching.

I'd show her Emily's channel...Flying Sparks Garage...

https://youtube.com/@flyingsparksgarage

And mine is Trash and Trail...my wife Jessica is a better wheeler than I am...just don't let her follow you down the freeway...

-Mac

Love my 97. Super easy to work on!

Lots of good YouTube channels out there for inspiring young women to succeed wheeling and wrenching.

I'd show her Emily's channel...Flying Sparks Garage...

https://youtube.com/@flyingsparksgarage

And mine is Trash and Trail...my wife Jessica is a better wheeler than I am...just don't let her follow you down the freeway...

-Mac

Sounds like my daughter in law! 🤣

Thanks all for the kind words :love: .. We got an oil change done, plugs/wires, transmission fluid done yesterday. Also started playing with the front marker light wiring, otherwise all other lights are working. Also took the doors off and hit the plastic fender ?flairs? with a rattle can. I did the paint but the daughter has done all the work herself.
-4048974538626105573.jpg
PXL_20240429_193804765.jpg

Those tires came with the jeep, pretty sure they are stock size. Really want to pull the diamond plate off but I'm afraid to see what's behind it. From lurking here I have ordered the 4WD switch so the dash light will come back and the oil filled bronze bushings for all the doors.
Hopefully this week we will get the differential fluids and the lights done. We are also having a weird front brake issue, it looks like one caliper has been changed and it has all new pads.. but I'm guessing it wasn't cleaned and bled properly so calipers are hanging randomly, also going to order new rubber lines, maybe they are collapsing.
I'm really just trying to stick with everything that is needed before anything that is wanted. We are doing our best to not even think about lifting it.. Oh, also on the list is to see what's going on with the fuel tank skid plate, I'm leaving parts of it everywhere i go... hopefully the tank wont fall off lol
Sorry for the ramble, Its how I roll...

Thanks all for the kind words :love: .. We got an oil change done, plugs/wires, transmission fluid done yesterday. Also started playing with the front marker light wiring, otherwise all other lights are working. Also took the doors off and hit the plastic fender ?flairs? with a rattle can. I did the paint but the daughter has done all the work herself.
View attachment 522982View attachment 522983

Those tires came with the jeep, pretty sure they are stock size. Really want to pull the diamond plate off but I'm afraid to see what's behind it. From lurking here I have ordered the 4WD switch so the dash light will come back and the oil filled bronze bushings for all the doors.
Hopefully this week we will get the differential fluids and the lights done. We are also having a weird front brake issue, it looks like one caliper has been changed and it has all new pads.. but I'm guessing it wasn't cleaned and bled properly so calipers are hanging randomly, also going to order new rubber lines, maybe they are collapsing.
I'm really just trying to stick with everything that is needed before anything that is wanted. We are doing our best to not even think about lifting it.. Oh, also on the list is to see what's going on with the fuel tank skid plate, I'm leaving parts of it everywhere i go... hopefully the tank wont fall off lol

Check the knuckles for worn grooves or divots where the pad ear's slide. The pad ears are known to create divots on the knuckle over time that don't allow them to slide properly.

Oh, also on the list is to see what's going on with the fuel tank skid plate, I'm leaving parts of it everywhere i go... hopefully the tank wont fall off lol

Welcome

The skid plate does literally hold up the gas tank.
Additionally, the belly skid holds up the transmission and transfer case.

Reactions: Danarch
View attachment 522982View attachment 522983

A cheap upgrade is to use a stock gas tank skid from a later model. They are much sturdier starting around 2002 or 2003 I think.

The skid plate does literally hold up the gas tank.
Additionally, the belly skid holds up the transmission and transfer case.
Yep, This just moved to the top of the list. The belly skid look decent.

A cheap upgrade is to use a stock gas tank skid from a later model. They are much sturdier starting around 2002 or 2003 I think.
Screenshot_20240501-062747.png
Screenshot_20240501-062823.png

Ah thanks. My local parts reseller has what "looks" like a tank with lines and skid that looks very clean for $300 from an 02-03, hoping he also has the little wiring harnesses for the front fender marker lights, someone hacked the hell out of them for some reason.

Dont quote me on this but im not positive the tank itself would be of any use to you, just the skid. I may be wrong but I know the fuel pumps changed & the emission line routing somewhere around the mid point of tj manufacturing.

just bring it up so someone can clarify, if so you'd be spending $300 on just the skid.

Dont quote me on this but im not positive the tank itself would be of any use to you, just the skid. I may be wrong but I know the fuel pumps changed & the emission line routing somewhere around the mid point of tj manufacturing.

just bring it up so someone can clarify, if so you'd be spending $300 on just the skid.

You were right, a lot of stuff I wouldn't need on the tank. I used the amazon link here and picked up a skid, straps and hardware. Should be here by the weekend to start breaking bolts

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler