Interco Super Swamper TSL / SX2 chalk test results

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Today I went out to do a chalk test of my INTERCO tsl/sx2 super swamper tires.
I started out at 33psi, marked my tires with white chalk' drove across a flat concrete parking lot forward and backwards about 100 yards.
I went down at 2 lbs intervals looking for the right pressure to erase all the chalk from side to side.
WELL, I went all the way down to 18lbs and it still did NOT erase all the chalk. But it did finally take off most of the chalk.
I know I cant run those tires at 18lb, but the chalk test people say when the pressure takes off all the chalk then your at the right pressure for the tie and jeep weight.
Im guessing the center part of the tire is just higher or the tire is SO hard that it just wont flex much even at 18lbs.
This took about 1hour and 25 mins.
so does this chalk test only work on radial tires that are flat like ko2 or 3s ect......
Just wondering now what psi i should be running my tires ? Ill have to look back but interco said something like 38psi. (lol) ,,
whats your ideas?

Today I went out to do a chalk test of my INTERCO tsl/sx2 super swamper tires.
I started out at 33psi, marked my tires with white chalk' drove across a flat concrete parking lot forward and backwards about 100 yards.
I went down at 2 lbs intervals looking for the right pressure to erase all the chalk from side to side.
WELL, I went all the way down to 18lbs and it still did NOT erase all the chalk. But it did finally take off most of the chalk.
I know I cant run those tires at 18lb, but the chalk test people say when the pressure takes off all the chalk then your at the right pressure for the tie and jeep weight.
Im guessing the center part of the tire is just higher or the tire is SO hard that it just wont flex much even at 18lbs.
This took about 1hour and 25 mins.
so does this chalk test only work on radial tires that are flat like ko2 or 3s ect......
Just wondering now what psi i should be running my tires ? Ill have to look back but interco said something like 38psi. (lol) ,,
whats your ideas?
I had the same problem with my TSLs. Ended up running them at 20 psi even though they wanted less.

id be worried about loosing a bead at highway speeds at 20 psi , I was thinking 26psi .

I really don't think you would lose a bead at 20 PSI on the street. My experiance with the SX tires is they have a very stiff sidewall which is part of what makes them a robust tire and why you don't see them getting their sidewalls sliced like you do other tires. I would play with the pressure a little more just to see how low you need to go to get any sidewall bulge.

Have you posted pics before? I would love to see pics of a tsl on a TJ

FB9EEA6E-F2AC-4322-91D5-8D6C9D1867DA.jpeg

EB13E41A-21F0-43B9-82B4-F505DBDEFB69.jpeg

The chalk test sounds good in theory but it doesn't work in reality. It is however excellent at causing its adherents to consistently underfill their tires though.
Jerry do you think I’ll be good at 25 or 26 psi as most 35” tires or should I be higher in your opinion? We’re talking about on the road. I realize trail psi will be 10 -12 psi.

Have you posted pics before? I would love to see pics of a tsl on a TJ
38x12.5x16.5 on Hummer rims recentered for 4" back spacing.
24-26 psi is what you should run them at. Also, you won’t lose a bead at 20 psi - I wouldn’t run them at that though due to heat.

Yes I'd say around 24 psi should be more than good.

IMG_2747-1.jpg

24psi. They look fantastic by the way. Jeeps were made for aggressive tires. Anything less than an MT is just throwing good money away. I've been meaning to start a thread on this. The tires are so desirable, even used, that you can make back 40-50% of the cost of new tires selling them on CL or FB marketplace. People just don't like dropping 1K +, but they are ready and willing to drop $500-600. That really takes a chunk out of the new tire costs. So, you stay in newer tires and they get your old ones and everyone is happy. Economics + Intelligence.

24psi. They look fantastic by the way. Jeeps were made for aggressive tires. Anything less than an MT is just throwing good money away. I've been meaning to start a thread on this. The tires are so desirable, even used, that you can make back 40-50% of the cost of new tires selling them on CL or FB marketplace. People just don't like dropping 1K +, but they are ready and willing to drop $500-600. That really takes a chunk out of the new tire costs. So, you stay in newer tires and they get your old ones and everyone is happy. Economics + Intelligence.
I like the way you think .

I'm wondering what I can get for my old tires. Granted they are a unusual size so it'll be harder to sell but.

I'm wondering what I can get for my old tires. Granted they are a unusual size so it'll be harder to sell but.
I sold 4 Cooper STT Pros in 33x12.5r15 with between 8 and 11/32’s for $400. Now’s a good time to sell bc manufacturing is behind. Aren’t your old tires 16’s?