Interco Super Swamper TSL / SX2 chalk test results

The tires are so desirable, even used, that you can make back 40-50% of the cost of new tires selling them on CL or FB marketplace. People just don't like dropping 1K +, but they are ready and willing to drop $500-600. That really takes a chunk out of the new tire costs. So, you stay in newer tires and they get your old ones and everyone is happy. Economics + Intelligence.

I haven't bought new tires for a Jeep since I bought my TJ in 2017.

At the time, I paid $800 for brand new (tread depth measurement indiscernible from brand new) set of 5 32x11.5 KO2's mounted on wheels I liked. Retail on the setup was $1500. They're now on the LJ, not quite 20k miles on them and still going strong. I'll probably be selling them this summer to go to 35's and I bet I can get $5-600 for them. Can't beat driving for 3 years and 20k miles on them for a net $300.

A few weeks ago I needed stock-ish tires for the TJ and paid $425 for a set of 5 Goodyear A/T w/ Kevlar in 31x10.5 ($770 at retail) with <5k miles on them, and again, can't really get a precise enough tread depth measurement to tell they're not brand new.

I don't know what it is with people selling almost-new tires but it's like they lose 40% of their value the second they touch the ground, and then they hold there almost until they're worn out, and I'm happy to work that system.

I haven't bought new tires for a Jeep since I bought my TJ in 2017.

At the time, I paid $800 for brand new (tread depth measurement indiscernible from brand new) set of 5 32x11.5 KO2's mounted on wheels I liked. Retail on the setup was $1500. They're now on the LJ, not quite 20k miles on them and still going strong. I'll probably be selling them this summer to go to 35's and I bet I can get $5-600 for them. Can't beat driving for 3 years and 20k miles on them for a net $300.

A few weeks ago I needed stock-ish tires for the TJ and paid $425 for a set of 5 Goodyear A/T w/ Kevlar in 31x10.5 ($770 at retail) with <5k miles on them, and again, can't really get a precise enough tread depth measurement to tell they're not brand new.

I don't know what it is with people selling almost-new tires but it's like they lose 40% of their value the second they touch the ground, and then they hold there almost until they're worn out, and I'm happy to work that system.
I guess it can work both ways. I did try to find a set of good used tires, and I did find an almost new set of Hankook's among others. They still wanted $650 for the Hankook's. It's not the tire I wanted though. I watched FB and CL for 6-8 months and never saw the Maxxis Razr's come up in a 33. I'm too picky.

Are those bias or radial? i need new tires and was looking at bias Maxxis.
Also, what wheels are those? I like the white on white

They are 38x12.5x16.5 TSL SX tires. They're a biased ply tire. The wheels are recentered 8 bolt Hummv rims.

IMGP1755.jpg

IMGP1785.jpg

IMGP1661.jpg

IMGP1703.jpg

I guess it can work both ways. I did try to find a set of good used tires, and I did find an almost new set of Hankook's among others. They still wanted $650 for the Hankook's. It's not the tire I wanted though. I watched FB and CL for 6-8 months and never saw the Maxxis Razr's come up in a 33. I'm too picky.

Yeah, you've got to go into it with an open mind. When I bought my 32" KO2's I was looking for 33" KM2s. When I bought the 31" Goodyears I was looking for literally almost any name brand all-terrain 30x9.5 or 31x10.5. Success will be rare going into it with a specific brand, model, and size. Getting 2 out of 3 is much easier.

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
The chalk test sounds good in theory but it doesn't work in reality. It is however excellent at causing its adherents to consistently underfill their tires though.
What method do you use to determine ideal pressure? I find the math formula that scales it based on the tire load rating and vehicle weight to give even lower numbers than the chalk test. (last time I ran the numbers for 35" KM3's on my 4000lb TJ it gave me 19psi)

Amazing stuff @Wildman. That front bar is sick. What brand is it and where did you get it?

The front bumper is a custom job. I made the flat bumper to start with and had a buddy bend the hoop.

IMG00140.jpg

Then I had a buddy who owned a fabrication shop and he bent the radiator hoop and the tie in pieces.

IMG00417.jpg

IMG00418.jpg

Reactions: Jack1947
That's a really good job. This is all I can find here in Aus with that style. I'm seriously thinking about this made by Genright. A bit on the steep side though not sure the missus would approve. 😂

Screenshot_20210201-203604_Chrome.jpg

So back to the conversation of Pizza Cutters. Can anyone find a 35x10(or 10.5)x15 or equivalent. I know the TSL2 is available. I want mud terrain, tall and skinny

So back to the conversation of Pizza Cutters. Can anyone find a 35x10(or 10.5)x15 or equivalent. I know the TSL2 is available. I want mud terrain, .
Closest I've seen is I think BFG makes a 34x10.5r17 ko2 and nitto makes a ridge grappler in 35x11.5r17. Both are way overpriced and neither are load range C.

What gearing are you running with the 35 sx2 I have a 97 with the 4.0 with the aw4 swap transmission and 4.10 gears with lockers just wondering if I can run these and still do ok on the hwy??? No long trips just 20-30 mile drives at a time. Also i am thinking of going with the 35x9x15 due the the fact that I am running an 8inch wheel.

What gearing are you running with the 35 sx2 I have a 97 with the 4.0 with the aw4 swap transmission and 4.10 gears with lockers just wondering if I can run these and still do ok on the hwy??? No long trips just 20-30 mile drives at a time. Also i am thinking of going with the 35x9x15 due the the fact that I am running an 8inch wheel.

It's gonna be a dog. 35's and that auto you want as low of gears as you can get. 5.13-5.38

Reactions: BlueC and Mike_H

It will suck. It will go down the road, but it will suck

So I should probably just stick with the 33 inch. It has 31 on it now and has no issues at 80 in overdrive I am also running a programer, cold air intake, and banks monster exhaust system.